Did you mean: 

Maybe I'm Missing Something but....

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Maybe I'm Missing Something but....

@Spider15 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Here's the bottom line to the whole discussion... why not?  If someone gets a CC for being flashy or metal, $300 or $450 or whatever and disregards the tangible or intangible benefits - who cares?  At the end of the day, does it really matter?

Personally, I'm going for this one in a few months. 

Hello Kitty Visa.jpg

Do I care what it looks like?  No, not really.  Is the UMB's benefit structure like CSP, Diners, NFCU, DCU, Venture?  Absolutely not.  I just want it and everyone has different goals.

Is there no hope ... ? Smiley Wink

Hope for ...?

Message 41 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

Well, I doubt anyone pays $400 purely for the aesthetics of the card with complete disregard for rewards or benefits.  Of course, there's always the exception.  Anyone who can or opts to spend $400 purely on a card, more power to them!  The reason why we try to earn a living is to spend our money as we deem fitting.

From my perspective, the rewards/benefits/features of a card are first and foremost when selecting or using one.  Afterwards, all things being equal, I'd rather have an aesthetically pleasing card rather than an ugly one.  It's all subjective, of course.  Some may really like the look for the William Shatner Priceline or Fid Amex, but I aint one of them.  While I may enjoy the rewards of the latter, I may opt not to use them in public when entertaining clients or friends.  Same reason why I'd never own a Volvo, regardless how safe they tell me it is!

Message 42 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Well, I doubt anyone pays $400 purely for the aesthetics of the card with complete disregard for rewards or benefits.  Of course, there's always the exception.  Anyone who can or opts to spend $400 purely on a card, more power to them!  The reason why we try to earn a living is to spend our money as we deem fitting.

From my perspective, the rewards/benefits/features of a card are first and foremost when selecting or using one.  Afterwards, all things being equal, I'd rather have an aesthetically pleasing card rather than an ugly one.  It's all subjective, of course.  Some may really like the look for the William Shatner Priceline or Fid Amex, but I aint one of them.  While I may enjoy the rewards of the latter, I may opt not to use them in public when entertaining clients or friends.  Same reason why I'd never own a Volvo, regardless how safe they tell me it is!

Ya know, I see a lot of dislike of the Fidelity AMEX.  While it isn't the best looking card out there it isn't really that bad.  

My dad used to have the World of Warcraft Visa.  I thought that card was hideous, but the benefit of the card was worth it to my dad so more power to him (although it was somewhat embarrassing when a man his age pulled out the card to pay for stuff).

Message 43 of 46
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

The design of a card may contribute to the reason why I get one. Is it the only reason why? No. But it definitely helps.

Message 44 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

The design of a card may contribute to the reason why I get one. Is it the only reason why? No. But it definitely helps.

Yes, I think its pretty clear that there is a spectrum of how much design matters to a person.   I can (fairly truthfully) say that design to me doesn't matter at all.   (Well, as Open123 said, if everything else was equal, then maybe, but I've never really seen two rival cards that I want that differ only in design)

Message 45 of 46
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Thread locked and under review.

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.