Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills, and Credit cards. Oye Vey

tag
Startome
Regular Contributor

Medical Bills, and Credit cards. Oye Vey

So I just got the bill for my 3 MRIs, $1237.38. My total cash assets are 1076.04 plus about 140 dollars in my HSA. The problem is I still have bills to pay. lol. I have the two CCs in my signature. I may have to use some of each to cover this until I can pay it back. (The fun part is I haven't even got the second bill yet, though it is highly probable it will be significantly smaller). My interest rates are like, 22.99 and 24.99 though. What would you guys recommend? Neither of those rates are something I'd even remotely like to carry a balance on....

I could get a much better interest card with a signer obviously, but my only potential co-signer can't do it at the moment, for fear of jeopardizing a large business loan he's trying to take out.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Medical Bills, and Credit cards. Oye Vey

Contact the medical service provider that sent you the bill.

Make a payment arrangement NOW.

Usually, zero percent interest for at least a year...sometimes longer...you don't HAVE to put this on your credit cards...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Startome wrote:

So I just got the bill for my 3 MRIs, $1237.38. My total cash assets are 1076.04 plus about 140 dollars in my HSA. The problem is I still have bills to pay. lol. I have the two CCs in my signature. I may have to use some of each to cover this until I can pay it back. (The fun part is I haven't even got the second bill yet, though it is highly probable it will be significantly smaller). My interest rates are like, 22.99 and 24.99 though. What would you guys recommend? Neither of those rates are something I'd even remotely like to carry a balance on....

I could get a much better interest card with a signer obviously, but my only potential co-signer can't do it at the moment, for fear of jeopardizing a large business loan he's trying to take out.

I am not expert on this but could you talk to hospital , and see if they could do an payment plan or something to that effect? 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Startome wrote:

Call and ask if they have a payment plan rather than place on your cards 

EDIT @tcbofade beat me Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 26
Startome
Regular Contributor

Haha ok, sounds like a unanimous vote on the best course of action =)

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300

Message 5 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

Few ways you can go about doing this.

1. Apply for care credit. There's 0% promo offers, and they are fairly easy to qualify for.

2. Talk to the hospital about payment arrangement. Sometimes its interest free if you pay it within a period of time, and sometimes they won't even report to the CRAs as long as you are not delinquent on payments (hence somewhat like a hidden trade line and 0 effect on your utilization). They are usually pretty negotiable because they very much rather avoid you from defaulting on them, which happens a lot for medical bills.

3. Try to seek out personal loans and pay the hospital bill in cash. There will be interests, but it's usually lower than APR on credit cards, and hospitals are sometimes able to give out some form of discount if you pay in full in cash. Talk to your hospital first.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 26
daninbath
Established Member

I have had great success over the years just letting the hospital/dr. know I didn't have the funds to pay the entire bill and would like to set up a payment plan. They have usually suggested a "minimum" amount each month.  When I've told them I would be more comfortable with a smaller amount, they habe been good with that. 

I have never paid interest and always been good about insuring my payments were made. It's free financing and they know they're going to get their money. Just don't put it off and not contact them, as they WILL turn it over for collection.

Message 7 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@daninbath wrote:

I have had great success over the years just letting the hospital/dr. know I didn't have the funds to pay the entire bill and would like to set up a payment plan. They have usually suggested a "minimum" amount each month.  When I've told them I would be more comfortable with a smaller amount, they habe been good with that. 

I have never paid interest and always been good about insuring my payments were made. It's free financing and they know they're going to get their money. Just don't put it off and not contact them, as they WILL turn it over for collection.

Good advice about not putting it off , i did that and it wasn't an pretty sight. I am sure hospital will be able to work with you on it they want to get paid also. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 26
Startome
Regular Contributor

They billed my insurance, here's what it looks like :

• Amount Billed $2,929.68

• Plan Discounts $1,092.78
  • Your Plan Paid $563.52
  • Your Responsibility $1,273.38

-----Deductible$1,210.77  +  Coinsurance$62.61

On the bright side, I WIPED OUT my deductible. lol

Oh and I use united healthcare, does anyone know if they're good about payments?

I also had someone in family tell me to apply for medical hardship too, as it can cover some of it.

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300

Message 9 of 26
Startome
Regular Contributor

Is there any chance of getting Care Credit with no credit score? I feel like it's very highly improbable.

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.