Did you mean: 

Meeting bonus spend while avoiding manufactured spend

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: Meeting bonus spend while avoiding manufactured spend

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you are trying to be 100% "safe" I would avoid doing reloads to Serve/Redbird with a credit card, especially Chase. Also, others may disagree, but that's still essentially manufactured spending anyway.

What I would do is what the other poster suggested -- add an authorized user who will meet the spending if you can't find anything you need to purchase for that amount.

I disagree.

+ 1. There is nothing Manufactured about Serve/Bluebird spending.

Message 11 of 53
red259
Super Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

If you pay rent then use William Paid (You do have to pay 2.9% fee)

Yea that would kill a lot of the value in the points earned. In the old days I used to buy 5k at a time of reloads. It made making initial spend a snap and I was able to pay my rent and all my bills that would not accept credit cards. Sadly that ship has sailed. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 53
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two months to spend around $3,600 more on my CSP. There has been a lot of talk on the forum about Chase accounts being closed and speculation about why they were closed. Obviously, I would like to avoid this, so I am trying to avoid anything that might be seen as manufactured spend. I'm considering the different prepaid checking alternative accounts as a way of doing this and using them to pay college tuition. Is it acceptable to purchase reloads for Bluebird or Serve? If so, what reloads should I buy, is Bluebid or Serve better, and is there a limit to this? Finally, has anyone else used this system to make payments to places that only accept checks? I want to make sure that the bill pay from check feature works properly. If those won't work, how do you reccomend meeting spend?

Both BB and Serve can be deemed as MS but i find serve to be easier , you can do 1500 an month from home by online CC load. So you should be able to meet your min spend. Also remember you can put all kind of bills like cable, cell phone, home and auto insurance, and oil bill that should help you meet min spend an lot easier. 

Only if you signup with certain types of phones. I think all the new phones allow for this. Otherwise your stuck at 1k per month.

yes i should preface saying if you have nfc enabled phone which most non apple phones are . I think only 6 and 6 plus are nfc out of the box. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 53
red259
Super Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you are trying to be 100% "safe" I would avoid doing reloads to Serve/Redbird with a credit card, especially Chase. Also, others may disagree, but that's still essentially manufactured spending anyway.

What I would do is what the other poster suggested -- add an authorized user who will meet the spending if you can't find anything you need to purchase for that amount.

I disagree.

I wouldn't say nothing manufactured about it. It depends on how it is used, but I agree plenty of people use it for legitimate purposes. 

;
Message 14 of 53
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I disagree.

I wouldn't say nothing manufactured about it. It depends on how it is used, but I agree plenty of people use it for legitimate purposes. 

its debatable if its ms or not because if you load with certain CC it will be charged as cash advance. To me that makes it semi-ms 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 15 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I disagree.

Whether or not it is really manufactured spending, would Chase have an issue with it?

Message 16 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I disagree.

Whether or not it is really manufactured spending, would Chase have an issue with it?

That is for Chase to decide....We can't give you a "Yay" or "Nay" to that question.

Message 17 of 53
IWOL
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I disagree.

Nobody can answer that definitively. There have been reports of shutdowns but they seem to scarce and far more reports of people using these tools heavily without any problems.

Message 18 of 53
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I disagree.

Doubtful. I use serve every month with my CSP or at least I used to. Because of the caps of 1k to 1.5k per month I can't see why chase would bother someone about it. At least on a card with a higher limit and being that your limit must be at least 5k it should be fine. I will say I use the card for a lot of other expenses as well though and its a relatively small portion of my credit line going to serve.

;
Message 19 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I disagree.

Test 1:   If your card had no rewards, would you do this?

It is a transaction made purely for rewards (otherwise you just pay by check/ACH), so yes, it is manufactured spending.   (And as absolutely conclusive proof, it has its own thread in the MS section of FT!(

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.