Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting minimum spend by exact amounts

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Meeting minimum spend by exact amounts

I'm using my mortgage payment to take one of my cards overr the threshold, but it's a large amount and exceeds the threshold by several hundred dollars.  I was thinking I would optimize by just doing the amount needed and putting the rest towards another card.

If I split up payments so that I meet minimum spend on bonuses down to the cent, will that raise any red flags?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Meeting minimum spend by exact amounts

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I'm using my mortgage payment to take one of my cards overr the threshold, but it's a large amount and exceeds the threshold by several hundred dollars.  I was thinking I would optimize by just doing the amount needed and putting the rest towards another card.

If I split up payments so that I meet minimum spend on bonuses down to the cent, will that raise any red flags?

I don't think why it should.

Which card are you planning on using?

Which third party company?

What's the amount?

Message 2 of 15
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I'm using Plastiq to pay my mortgage.  I'm putting it on the Chase IHG card to satisfy the bonus requirement.

However, the payment would take it well over the $2000 threshold by a few hundred dollars.  I figured I'd pay enough to take the IHG card to $2000 and put the rest on the Amex green card to get a head start on the bonus chase on that card. Then I'd finish that one up with a portion of the mortgage next month.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I think you should always try to give yourself a cushion over the exact spend requirement to ensure that you receive the bonus.  In your case I'd just put the whole amount for the mortgage on the card and then move on to the next bonus.

Message 4 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I think you should always try to give yourself a cushion over the exact spend requirement to ensure that you receive the bonus.  In your case I'd just put the whole amount for the mortgage on the card and then move on to the next bonus.

+1

Message 5 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Cushions are good when you're buying merchandise that may be returned, or travel that may be cancelled.

A cushion may be good in this case if the IHG card already has some charges on it that may be reversed.

If, however, someone wanted to meet minimum spend entirely by paying mortgage bills, then in that case a cushion wouldn't serve much purpose. I'm not sure what could happen that would lead to the Plastiq charge being reversed, but if a $2k charge is reversed for any reason, a few hundred dollars of extra spend probably won't help much.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add and this isnt a boast but to point out my experience in this area. In last 3 years bewtween my own and my g/fs card I have managed the necessary spend for about 55 cards and their bonuses.  Never once did I/we have an issue with receiving the bonuses on any of the cards.  The bonuses are just worth too much to risk missinng out on them because you might miscaculate or a transaction doesn't post.  You might not have a problem this time but it's just not a habit to get into.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think OP wants to get a head start on the Green card and does not want to put it all on the IHG card (which makes sense).

Why not just go over by $20 or so?  I usually add up everything i've spent so far (including pending transactions) to see where i am.  I also (just to double check) get with the AMEX chat and they're very good at telling me where i stand to meet the bonus and much more i need to spend.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Cushions are good when you're buying merchandise that may be returned, or travel that may be cancelled.

A cushion may be good in this case if the IHG card already has some charges on it that may be reversed.

If, however, someone wanted to meet minimum spend entirely by paying mortgage bills, then in that case a cushion wouldn't serve much purpose. I'm not sure what could happen that would lead to the Plastiq charge being reversed, but if a $2k charge is reversed for any reason, a few hundred dollars of extra spend probably won't help much.

It's not just one $2K transaction that we are talking about.  MrDisco is suggesting that he put (just guessing the exact amounts), $1800 on one card and $200 on the other.  What if there is a hiccup with Plastiq (has happened before) and the $200 transaction doesn't go thru.  Just not worth the risk.  Put the whole amount on one card and move on. 

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding using Plastiq...i read a post before - You might have to email your mortgage statement to plastiq as proof. 

I read a post from a member here paying another person (landlord) for rent and payment was put on hold.  This member then had to send the rent statement to Plastiq as proof and all was find and smooth after that. You might want to contact Plastiq in advanced to find out if they will need it.  Maybe not since this is a mortgate payment, but just to make sure i guess.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.