Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Re: Members be careful juggling too many cards

That's why this old man only juggles "one" card.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 11 of 25
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I'm silly, so I prepay all my cards except one.

Message 12 of 25
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

athensguy, I do the same thing... prepay my daily-use credit card by always keeping a credit balance so far above and beyond, that I never have to sweat bullets around statement time.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay each of my cards on Sunday for the previous weeks use. This seems to work really well for me and keeps me in order on my spending. If it is not in the budget, it does not get spent!

Ray

Message 14 of 25
DI
Super Contributor

I juggle 9 credit cards.  At one point, I was juggling 11.   I don't falter because I know better to not use all 9 cards in one month.  I use 1-2  cards each month at a time. I do not use other cards until the cards I've used are paid in full. 

Message 15 of 25
meka1984
Regular Contributor

I agree with DI. You have a great system in place

Some can juggle their fair share of cards. It's all about discipline. 

Message 16 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Another option, which most CCC's will let you do:

Set half your cards to one due date, and the other half to another.

So if you know that a bunch of somethings are due on the 3rd, and another bunch of somethings are due on the 17th, that will help you focus on what's what. If there are just a couple of cards that get most use, set one for one date and the other for the other, so you're not hammered.

That approach doesn't work for me, alas. So I bookmark all my CC accounts (Favorites for you IE users), and I order them by date. (I go by statement date, but this works for due dates, too.) Every time I log on my laptop, I click the Bookmarks tab and check the list, comparing it to that day's date. It's a handy way of keeping track.

You just have to find what works for you. Everyone's brain is wired differently.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 25
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

oh man oh man. i have OUT DONE ALL OF YOUs. since november of 2010 i have consistently maintained (juggled) 11 to 13 out of my 15 total cards. and YES, i use ALL OF THEM EVERY MONTH. except my sony and bealls card ( used that a month ago, and only plan on using these accounts only 2 times a year. sony(crutchfield) i might not use that again for a year; just long enough for it not to close.

currently i juggle all ten of my major cards.

my home depot card gets charged only once a month by citimonitor and paid once a month.

freedom to ride cc gets maintained once a month or more.

rcwilley only once a month.

my main rule is to attack instinctively and play it by ear. i am ALWAYS EYEBALLING IT. i always check on each plant i have growing at least once or twice a week, and analyze and determine what i next step is. im ALWAYS tweeking my so i stay in balance.

i probably make 25 to 35 separate payments every month. since i push ALL of my finances through credit; that way i streamline the whole process.

it might not look good to a lender as you are doing it, but after a couple of years of demonstrating this; any lender ought to find this pattern of reponsibility and ability to manage outstanding.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 18 of 25
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

and i am 100% online about everything too. i NEVER GET PAPER except for PRE APPROVALS!

Message 19 of 25
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i feel like im the only night owl on this site. weird feeling.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.