Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merchants know when you have a Siggy

tag
Torii

Merchants know when you have a Siggy

Hey Folks, 

I think I figured out that merchants know you are using a Visa Signature even if they never put eyes on your card. I noticed that when I ran my siggy the returned auth code was #####C, note the alpha as the last spot in the auth. To test this, I ran a platinum and a Visa debt all from the same bank and the same store, and the latter two cards returned all ###### (numbers) as auth code. 

Soooooo its my thinking that the C shows the merchant that it was a siggy. Has anyone else noticed this? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Merchants know when you have a Siggy

They get charged a higher transaction rate so I imagine there would be some indentifier on it. 

Message 2 of 12
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

They don't get charged more for the type of visa. I work the controller at a Marjorie grocery chain and everything gets broken down to the network. Visa, mc, Amex, discover and debit which includes foodstamps (ebt). Merchants don't care what tier card you have, it pays all the same based on network.
Message 3 of 12
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

*major grocery chain
Message 4 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

debit cards are charged lower fees than credit cards too. The difference is a lot higher than visa cc vs vida signature cc.

Message 5 of 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:
They don't get charged more for the type of visa. I work the controller at a Marjorie grocery chain and everything gets broken down to the network. Visa, mc, Amex, discover and debit which includes foodstamps (ebt). Merchants don't care what tier card you have, it pays all the same based on network.

Your chain may not, but most out there will pay higher fees for a signature compared to a gold. The interchange fees are published and publically available.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 12
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

There is a restaurant I frequent that indicates the type of Visa I pay with on the receipt: Visa Signature or Traditional Rewards Visa.

Message 7 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:

It depends on the type of agreement that specific merchant has with the respective payment networks.

Big companies (i.e. Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart and other national chain stores for example) usually have some sort of agreements / contracts in place with each payment network. They generally pay a flat rate regardless of the type of card used, and they usually are able to negotiate a lower rate as well due to economies of scale.

Mom and pop stores often do not have this kind of bargaining power with the payment processors. They basically are charged whatever rate each payment network sets at.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 12
nyancat
Established Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:

Grocery chain, exactly. Travel & Entertainment pay more to accept Visa Signature cards (since they're the ones who also benefit from the Visa Signature perks)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 9 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

@nyancat wrote:

@cottoncrown wrote:

Grocery chain, exactly. Travel & Entertainment pay more to accept Visa Signature cards (since they're the ones who also benefit from the Visa Signature perks)

Can you be more specific? What Visa Signature perks are provided to Travel & Entertainment providers? I'm really curious about this Cat Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.