Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Old Navy and Gap card?

tag
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Merging Old Navy and Gap card?

I wanted to get feedback on the best way to upgrade to the GAP Visa.  I have both an Old Navy and Gap store card (don't ask I know they are basically the same), but I mainly shop at GAP.  Both cards were opened about 1 month apart in Sept 2010, and currently the ON card has a $700cl and Gap $500cl (they have been a bit stingy.  I know I cannot combine the cl of both only rewards, but was wondering if I should close out the Old Navy card and just use the GAP to better my chances of upgrading and higher cl's? 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
learnin113
Established Contributor

Re: Merging Old Navy and Gap card?

I too got both cards about a month apart, both about 3 years ago.  I was so shocked I could get credit, I went a little crazy.  Now I'm stuck with a Gap card, upgraded to Visa with awesome credit increases (5.2K and started at 500), while the ON is just barely giving minute increases here and there.  I'm giving it another year to upgrade, if not I'm gonna suck it up and close it.  (Sorry about the threadjack) but we're in the same boat Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 6
halos24
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate the input trust me Smiley Happy, gives me hope!!  So did you use the GAP card just much more than you did the ON card?  It will just be 2 years in Sep this year, so I still have sometime to go. 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would be keeping both because they are both free and they both do get to request CLI every 4 months and it's never going to be a HP.

Message 4 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I would keep them both and see which one upgrades first. The experience of one or even several posters who have held both and say well X card upgraded and Y card didn't is valuable. But in dealing with GE you just never know what your personal experience is going to be. Just use the cards as you see fit and what works best for you. Request CLI's as you can and one day the odds are is one or the other will surprise you with an upgrade offer. Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
learnin113
Established Contributor

@halos24 wrote:

I appreciate the input trust me Smiley Happy, gives me hope!!  So did you use the GAP card just much more than you did the ON card?  It will just be 2 years in Sep this year, so I still have sometime to go. 

I did use the Gap card way more.  The limit was higher and I'm more of a Gap wearer than Old navy.  Also, I must mention that when I got the Gap upgrade, i got the Old Navy upgrade offer the exact same time (I can see both accounts in the same login).  So I chose to do the Gap Upgrade first in all my excitement, but when I went into the Old Navy side...the offer was gone.  Just like that.  And it never returned, and trust me, I check dailySmiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.