Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Bank Rant

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Merrick Bank Rant

I have been fighting for years to improve my credit after the damage my ex-wife did.  Merrick Bank (Hooters at the time) was the first CCC to allow me to open an account with them, which was in 2007 after I began the "cleanup" process.  About 5 years ago, I finally had ALL negatives taken care of and removed.  Throughout that process I was able to open a couple high rate CC.  Right after I got my mortgage in 2009, two more medical CAs popped up.  These were also for my ex-wife, but they would not remove them.  This  past month, they FINALLY dropped off, and my report is once again free of any negatives (aside from high utilization).  My score jumped from about 630 to 680, so I figured this would be a good time to start looking into some better terms on my CCs.

US Bank, surprisingly, increased my CL from $500 to $3,000 and dropped my APR from 19.99% to 15.99%.  My next attempt was Merrick since this my highest rate card (24.2%) and I am sick of the $6/month fee.  However, when I called Merrick, after a 10 minute wait to speak with someone, the CSR came on and she was immediately extremely rude before I even started talking to her.  I asked her if it is possible to qualify for a lower APR and/or reduction/elimination of my monthly fee (I know a lot of people "only" pay $3, so I would have been happy to get at least that).  The CSR snapped at me and said they do not take requests from customers.  I asked if my account is periodically reviewed and she said yes, but they can't change the APR unless the Federal Prime Rate changes and they do not change monthly fees.  From that point on, every question I asked got the same response:  "I would like to remind you that this card has a high rate because it helps people fix their credit".

I  probably could have handled these responses if it weren't for how incredibly rude the CSR was about it.  Wow.  And, of course, Merrick doesn't even have a way for me to submit a complaint unless I do it by snail mail or call back and speak to another rude CSR who obviously won't care about my complaint.  Their website gives no other options for contacting them.

If this card weren't anchoring my AAoA, it would be gone already.  I can just SD it, but then I still have to keep paying that #$#%%^ monthly feed.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Merrick Bank Rant

Rudeness aside, to be fair, there are product limitations on every lenders cards and this is likely one of them.

That said, if you were to close the card, it wouldn't touch your AAoA in the slightest: AAoA factors both open and closed accounts.  What it will do though is start the 10 year clock after which the tradeline will fall off.  

If it's a junk card anyway, just close it and move on is my opinion; at a 680 you can do better than that and in 10 years if you're still using your credit file, you'll likely have plenty of bulk where that account falling off won't hurt you.

Much respect for the work you've done to clean up your credit reports though!

        
Message 2 of 8
roniram
Regular Contributor

If I were you, since your scores have increased, and you can now qualify for better cards, I would do so.  Then, call Merrick back, tell thm you are going to close your cared, and then tell them WHY.  Tell them the last person you talked to told you this card was for people who have to fix their credit, and yours is now fixed.   I have a Merrick Bank Card and and soon as I can get prime cards (hopefully within the next few months) it will be the first to go, even though it is one of my oldest.

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
dtjones052209
Regular Contributor

+1 Relevate

Message 4 of 8
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

I took the plunge this week and closed my Merrick Card down.  I did it with extreme prejudice!  It was a joy to sit there and listen to the CSR try to talk me out of it... nothing she offered would have made a difference of course.  I feel so much better mentally geting rid of their card and look forward to the future!  The last thing she said to me was the account is officially closed and if I ever change my mind down the road to give them a call back... they MIGHT be willing to give me another shot.  NOW THAT MADE MY DAY!!!

Take control of your destiny and close the account and find a CCC that will look upon you as a customer who actually is using them as a solution rather than them using you as a solution to their P&L.

Good luck! -Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 5 of 8
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Merrick is an account destined to be closed the day it's opened.  I kept mine longer than I really should have because I liked the "free" FICO score. 

Message 6 of 8
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Thanks for the all the input.

Revelate--you know, I never even considered that.  I guess it would still count towards AAoA even if closed wouldn't it?

For now, I think I will suffer a little longer with it.  This is primarily because my utilization is the main thing holding my score back, so I hate to lose the extra available credit.  However, now that those last 2 CAs are gone, I imagine that I will be pretty succesful over the next few months at getting some CLIs on some of my "better" cards.  Once I do that, I will close (and have fun doing it). 

And, yes, I am aware that the best way to improve utilization is the pay down balance, not by getting more available credit. Smiley Happy I am working on that at the same time.  I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Message 7 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

If the monthly fees are worth how the CC plays into your UTIL, then it might be worth keeping for now.  As had been mentioned, it won't drop your AAoA for ~10 years, when it falls off your CRs.  And I'm sorry for the bad CSR...maybe you got the same person as the other forum member got on the phone. 

My Merrick is currently in the SD, as I don't have much use for it anymore, as I'm getting better cards.  Fortunately, I don't have AF, so it's causing no harm in the SD for now.  In May, it becomes 1 year old.   I'm really debating if I should keep it open until next May, so I can have two full years of positive history.   We'll see. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.