Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merrick Bank

I recently received an mail offer from Merrick bank stating that I've been pre-approved for an offer of a credit limit 1500 with no annual fee. I went online and accepted the offer and got approved. But after googling :"Merrick Bank" seeing they have poor reviews about their surprised annual fees, bad customer service, and etc. Now I'm skeptical if I receive the card should I just cancel right away before deepening myself into this credit card. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Merrick Bank

Hmm.  I have a Merrick Bank CC, and my wife has one as well.

Not the best card, not the worst.  We've never had any difficulty with them, but we've never had to contact Customer Service either.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 22
john398
Senior Contributor

I have a hooters card by Merrick and I have no complaints

Message 3 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently received an mail offer from Merrick bank stating that I've been pre-approved for an offer of a credit limit 1500 with no annual fee. I went online and accepted the offer and got approved. But after googling :"Merrick Bank" seeing they have poor reviews about their surprised annual fees, bad customer service, and etc. Now I'm skeptical if I receive the card should I just cancel right away before deepening myself into this credit card. Any suggestions?

The fees are only a surprise if the disclosure isn't read before applying. DW has their card. Yes, the fees are bad, but it's a good rebuilder card and they are generous with CLIs, or in DW's case anyway. We only called a CSR once but that was because they suspected fraud after an odd spending pattern.

Message 4 of 22
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I've found them to be very straightforward and easy to deal with.  I've had one of their cards since 2003 (the regular Merrick) and the Merrick Hooters card since 2007, and no problems with either.  Both started at about $800 or $1,000 and they are now at $3,300 and $3,200.  I recommend them as a rebuilder!

Frequent Contributor

i also have a hooters card and have no complaints.  started with 1500 and still there but it's only been 6 months. no annual fee. low apr at 16% plus rewards

Message 6 of 22
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

I agree with Chester. It's a great card to have. No complaints, except that you have to call in to get a replacement card; some will cross examine why you want to replace your card. My hooters card has a 3200 usd credit limit; that and no annual fee.
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 22
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:
I agree with Chester. It's a great card to have. No complaints, except that you have to call in to get a replacement card; some will cross examine why you want to replace your card. My hooters card has a 3200 usd credit limit; that and no annual fee.

It's too bad you can only get a preapproval by invitation only. Does Merrick have a preapproval site I don't know about?

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 8 of 22
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

hooters mastercard was previously accepting applicants, but not anymore. i have heard they have done this in the past, but have a feeling this pause is for much longer. merrick bank is currently under scrutiny, for illegal practices. this is not a good bank to deal with actually. but for some reason, they do put their best foot forward through their hooters program primarily for prime applicants. while they are mainly predatory, they choose to be sound to prime hooterscard customers such as myself. the interest rate is half-way decent, and the rewards program is pretty good too. i've heard alot of good responses with this card program; that they tend to CLI those that are current and use the card frequently. they also are known to reduce the apr for some hooterscard customers that have been with them for awhile.

i will confirm with creditcrusader that merrick is currently not accepting any new applicants for any unsecured products, unless it is by invitation only.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 9 of 22
john398
Senior Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

hooters mastercard was previously accepting applicants, but not anymore. i have heard they have done this in the past, but have a feeling this pause is for much longer. merrick bank is currently under scrutiny, for illegal practices. this is not a good bank to deal with actually. but for some reason, they do put their best foot forward through their hooters program primarily for prime applicants. while they are mainly predatory, they choose to be sound to prime hooterscard customers such as myself. the interest rate is half-way decent, and the rewards program is pretty good too. i've heard alot of good responses with this card program; that they tend to CLI those that are current and use the card frequently. they also are known to reduce the apr for some hooterscard customers that have been with them for awhile.

i will confirm with creditcrusader that merrick is currently not accepting any new applicants for any unsecured products, unless it is by invitation only.

the only information I could find on this was under consumer boards, is there something from the government where you found this?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.