Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Bank

tag
homeinfuture
Contributor

Merrick Bank

I am trying to rebuild, I currently have a capital one secured card that I have had for a little over 2 months, My credit restoration guy told me I should get another card to help boost my score (Trying to get mortgage) he recommened Merrick bank, Does anyone here know if they will deny you if you are on chexsystems? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Merrick Bank

@homeinfuture wrote:

I am trying to rebuild, I currently have a capital one secured card that I have had for a little over 2 months, My credit restoration guy told me I should get another card to help boost my score (Trying to get mortgage) he recommened Merrick bank, Does anyone here know if they will deny you if you are on chexsystems? 

Merrick's unsecured cards are invitation-only.   As for their secured line, I don't have much information on that.   Merrick pulled EQ for me.  AFAIK, they wouldn't even look at Chexsystems.

The secured card from SDFCU is highly recommended around here, as they don't pull from the CRs to open.  As for starting a share account, I'm not sure if they consider Chexsystems.   I don't think CUs typically do, but someone with the card might be able to better advise.  

If you're looking to add a store card, the "shopping cart trick" ones might be worth looking into.  Just search the boards, as there are a lot of threads on the process and stores that use this "trick."  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 4
p-
Valued Contributor

@homeinfuture wrote:

You have a credit restoration guy?  Read up here, and you might not need one...  

As far as chex, they now comply with FACTA and offer both a free report, and method for correcting or disputing.  Get your report here:

https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumerinfo/us/en/freereport.htm

and submit disputes here:

https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumerinfo/us/en/chexsystems/disputes.htm

I would treat that like any other credit report derog.  DV or PFD.  And they auto delete after five years, so hang in there.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd recommend Merrick too. They're the first company that offered me a credit card after many years of neglecting my credit. They gave me 1000 CL starting limit. And it was through the mail.  Almost 2 years later I'm at 1600, I've never had any issues with them. Very good start if you can get it. And their customer speaks 100% English.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.