Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Card

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Merrick Card

Decent rebuilder card, one of the better out there..  You are past it though OP so you should close it if their is a AF involved.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I was going to say the same. I have the No Fee No Annual Fee card, so every six months after the CLI I use it, let it generate a statement, then pay it off. it just sits there helping my overall AAoA.

If you have the Annual Fee card then moving on and closing is recommended.

It does give a free TU Fico 8 which is nice.

Message 12 of 20
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

I used to have this card. It doubled, I believe on the 7th statement, and didn't receive an increase there after. To my understanding there's no way for a customer to initiate a CLI, only Merrick will give an auto increase but there is no set increment for this to happen.

This is true. That's what they told me once when I called for a CLI. 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

If you have better cards close it.... looks like the same kind of card offer like Credit one

There is no comparison between Merrick Bank and Credit One.

Message 14 of 20
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

If you have better cards close it.... looks like the same kind of card offer like Credit one

True story! Credit dumb is the slum of the slum

Personal:

Business:

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Merrick is a reasonable reputable subprime lender.  Credit One is satan's spawn.

Message 16 of 20
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

We each have unique experiences.

For me, Merrick was worse in every single way than Credit One. They were both short term cards for a specific use which I cancelled as soon as possible.

But to be clear, for me, Merrick had worse APR, worse fees, lower limit, and slower processing for transactions. Neither lasted a year in my wallet. Cancelling each was the same ordeal.

My general advice is not "take a merrick card over a credit one card" or vice versa. It is rather, make sure you need one at all before taking it. Secured options, CU options, and cap1 options are all likely available if those M and Credit1 options are.
050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merrick hasnt dont nothing wrong, or at all. Ive literally never used it. If I did like my other higher APR cards Id just PIF if necessary to use of course eg bananarepublic.

Message 18 of 20
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

And here I was going to keep the card for the doubling. I don't remember my agreement saying anything about when that stops though. I'll hold onto it for 14 months and see if I get a second CLI. I only use this card to load my EZPass.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A question in the back of my mind and it's been chewing at me for quite a while.... 

Will the increase still occur even if you never use the card at all?

I paid the AF in full the day it arrived and it's been in the sock drawer due to having rewards and spend bonuses on others that arrived at the same time.  I've wondered if the clock has been stopped since the card has seen zero use.  If I charge netflix to it and and pif immediately(so I don't forget about it), will the clock restart IF that's the case?

As an update to this... I've used the card once since I've received it.  About 2-3 months ago I went ahead and ran my electric bill through it(obviously PIF immediately).

I wasn't notified that anything happened, but about once a week I check the account as with others.

Today I noticed the CL doubled.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.