Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrill Lynch Cards

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Merrill Lynch Cards

For those of you with the Merrill + and Total Merrill cards, how do you like them?  I know you basically get 1% for every $1 (1.25% on Total Merrill) and the + has no FTF fee.  Do you put a lot of spend through them?  Do they automatically link to your investment or retirement accounts when you are approved?  How fast do points post to your account?  I'm getting a bit burned out with churning and bonus spends and see this as a more long-term card.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Merrill Lynch Cards

I've only had the Merrill+ since Jan and no complaints so far. I do not have accounts with them nor is one necessary to redeem points.  

I opened it with the same hp for Fid Amex.

Message 2 of 15
H4LO
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

I've only had the Merrill+ since Jan and no complaints so far. I do not have accounts with them nor is one necessary to redeem points.  

You're able to open multiple cards with the same HP? 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 3 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

For those of you with the Merrill + and Total Merrill cards, how do you like them?  I know you basically get 1% for every $1 (1.25% on Total Merrill) and the + has no FTF fee.  Do you put a lot of spend through them?  Do they automatically link to your investment or retirement accounts when you are approved?  How fast do points post to your account?  I'm getting a bit burned out with churning and bonus spends and see this as a more long-term card.  Thanks in advance for your input.

it's a nice card, but I barely use it.

I read somewhere that the points can be redeemed towards flights and sometimes can be worth up to 2ccp? Not too sure about that though since I haven't redeemed for anything yet.

I opened the account in Oct 2013, and probably put a total of 1k spend on it so far. points do post right away once the charge is posted, similar to Barclays.

If you spend 40k in a year, you will qualify for the PLUS tier which has additional benefits including lounge access.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@H4LO wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

You're able to open multiple cards with the same HP? 

If your profile qualifies. 

Message 5 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I read somewhere that the points can be redeemed towards flights and sometimes can be worth up to 2ccp? Not too sure about that though since I haven't redeemed for anything yet.

I opened the account in Oct 2013, and probably put a total of 1k spend on it so far. points do post right away once the charge is posted, similar to Barclays.

If you spend 40k in a year, you will qualify for the PLUS tier which has additional benefits including lounge access.

Interesting, I'll have to search for that. 

I am concerned that FIA/BOA would potentially rob one of my existing limits (Alaska $5k and Cash Rewards $10k) for an approval, but maybe those stories are over-blown.  One of my retirement accounts is with ML and I like the idea of these cards for spend that doesn't meet quarterly bonuses on other cards.

Message 6 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I am concerned that FIA/BOA would potentially rob one of my existing limits (Alaska $5k and Cash Rewards $10k) for an approval, but maybe those stories are over-blown.  One of my retirement accounts is with ML and I like the idea of these cards for spend that doesn't meet quarterly bonuses on other cards.

FIA is pretty generous with limits. The only time you will need to move CLs around for an approval is if you have already met their exposure threshold. Unless your FIA accounts are obtained recently, you should be fine for the most part.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

09Lexie, do you find yourself using these cards as much as you anticipated prior to getting them?

Message 8 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@B335is wrote:

FIA is pretty generous with limits. The only time you will need to move CLs around for an approval is if you have already met their exposure threshold. Unless your FIA accounts are obtained recently, you should be fine for the most part.

Do you know if the underwriters are different than traditional BOA cards or is it all the same department?

Sorry for the million questions.

Message 9 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@B335is wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

09Lexie, do you find yourself using these cards as much as you anticipated prior to getting them?

I decided a few weeks ago to start putting my non-category spend between the two.  I honestly wasn't sure because I'm just easing my way into BoA cards.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.