NoLimits79

Merrill Lynch cards: Merrill+ vs. Total Merrill Cash Back

I've seen Merrill+ talked about in this forum and others and it appears it is a solid card if you want to use the card for point redemptions for more expensive flights, plus the EMV capability and No FTF is also attractive. But I do not really see much talk about the Total Merrill Cash Back. Is the cash back card as highly regarded? Does anyone here have it and can comment? The picture of the card on the site shows it has the EMV chip, but does the cash back card also have no FTF (it doesn't say in the card overview)? I tend to favor cash back credit cards over points based cards because points tend to be devalued over time. Also has anyone PCed a BOA branded card to a Merrill card, if so does it involve a hard pull?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Merrill Lynch cards: Merrill+ vs. Total Merrill Cash Back

Welcome to the forum 

I can answer part of this ...No you can't PC from BofA to Merrill it requires a new HP

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Valued Contributor
BigBS

[ Edited ]

Can answer a portion also.  The Total Merrill Cash Back is not issued to new card holders from what has been told to folks (like myself) that have applied for a Merrill card recently.  While the underwriting is the same for BoA, Merrill, and Fidelity cards I think I have only seen one case where someone PC'd from BoA to Fidelity.  Never heard of anyone PCing to Merrill.  The cards do come with the EMV chip.  I got mine yesterday and it looks nice.

AMEX BCP - $34.5K | AMEX Delta SkyMiles Gold - $10.4K | AMEX Platinum - NPSL | BofA BBR VISA - $15K | BofA Merrill Lynch + VS - $15K | Barclaycard Arrival WMC - $17.5K | Chase freedom VS - $5.5K | Citi TY Pref WMC - $21.9K | Coldwater Creek MC - $15K | Discover it - $11.5K | FIA AMEX - $16K | Synchrony Bank/HH Gregg - $10K | LMCU PP VISA - $10K | NFCU cashRewards VS - $30K | NFM (Store Card) - $6K | PFCU Platinum CRV+ - $39K | US Bank Cash+ - $16.5K | US Bank Cash+ - $12.5K | USAA WMC - $20.3K Last HP 24 Jul 14 - Gardening into 2015.
Senior Contributor
B335is

I can confirm what BigBS said the only card you can apply for is Merrill+.  The very friendly reps advised me Total Merrill is not open to apply for anymore.

NoLimits79

Thanks for the responses so far. Pretty absurd to list a phone number to apply on the page but then be told it is not offered to new applicants anymore.

Senior Contributor
B335is

NoLimits79 wrote:

Thanks for the responses so far. Pretty absurd to list a phone number to apply on the page but then be told it is not offered to new applicants anymore.

I didn't ask for all the details, maybe there's more to it?  Merrill+ has a 25,000 points bonus with $2500 spend in 3 months.

Regular Contributor
ceemee2203

I PC'ed my better balance card to the Merrill +. It took a month to receive the new card, but it is possible.
Current Cards: AMEX Green, AMEX BCE ($15.2k), AMEX SPG ($6k), Arrival ($7.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k)

4/14 - 762 Fico (Barclaycard)
Regular Contributor
iDShaDoW

Anyone else have any experiences with PC'ing a BoA card to a Merrill card?

I have the BoA Cash Rewards Visa Sig card but it's pretty much sock drawered at this point due to having worse rewards than my other cards (ie. AMEX BCP, Penfed, Cap1 QS).

Seems like there's been 1 other person on this board who said they changed their BoA to a Fidelity card but not much beyond that that I can find information on.

Walmart Discover TU08 FICO 09/02/14: 783 AMEX EX FICO 08/21/13: 775 PSECU EX FICO 09/03/14: 793

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+