Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merry Christmas, Closed By Grantor..

tag
itsmemikeyg
Valued Member

Merry Christmas, Closed By Grantor..

So Barclays closed my iTunes Rewards account. Opened in May 2012, started at $250 limit so I never used the card. Three months ago I called and requested a CLI to $5000 and it was approved.  I told them I was interesed in starting to use it for the iTunes rewards.  I have never run a charge through the card, yet. Simply because I was focused on paying down some smaller CC balances first.  Now the account has been closed, Thanks for the heads up CK. The card is not really a huge loss to me, however I did like the matte black design.  Im more upset about the fact that the credit reports read "CLOSED BY GRANTOR" and I feel like I wasted a HP thats now on my TU report.  I guess I shouldn't have requested the CLI until I really needed it?    How is the closed by grantor seen by other credit agencies if I never even ran a charge through the card? Currently around a 760 FICO, hoping not to drop more than 10 pts.

Merry Christmas! 

American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card / American Express Blue 30K / Discover It 33.5K / Bank of America Cash Rewards 16K / Citi Diamond Preferred 10.3K / Chase Freedom 10K / Chase Marriott Rewards Premier 5K / Best Buy Card 2.7K / Chase Slate 2.5K / Chase Freedom 1K
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Merry Christmas, Closed By Grantor..

are you sure it's closed? CK has been acting funny.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

are you sure it's closed? CK has been acting funny.

Yes, check by logging into your credit card account.   But closed by grantor really doesn't matter, unless there are a lot of them all at one time.  Closure for inactivity is well understood and doesn't really count against you (except maybe "You didn't use their card, how do I know you will use ours!" but that is very small).

The only reason your score would drop is if utilization increases, which in turn depends on your reported balances and what percentage the closed CL is of your total credit limit.   

Message 3 of 14
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well I'm not surprised at all they closed it. They gave you a big cli and you still never used their card. Companies don't like that!
Message 4 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@itsmemikeyg wrote:

So Barclays closed my iTunes Rewards account. Opened in May 2012, started at $250 limit so I never used the card. Three months ago I called and requested a CLI to $5000 and it was approved.  I told them I was interesed in starting to use it for the iTunes rewards.  I have never run a charge through the card, yet. Simply because I was focused on paying down some smaller CC balances first.  Now the account has been closed, Thanks for the heads up CK. The card is not really a huge loss to me, however I did like the matte black design.  Im more upset about the fact that the credit reports read "CLOSED BY GRANTOR" and I feel like I wasted a HP thats now on my TU report.  I guess I shouldn't have requested the CLI until I really needed it?    How is the closed by grantor seen by other credit agencies if I never even ran a charge through the card? Currently around a 760 FICO, hoping not to drop more than 10 pts.

Merry Christmas! 

Barclays is well-known in this arena.  If the account stays inactive for a determined period (read your T&C which came with your card) then they can and will close it.  The reporting "notation" really isn't a big deal, as longtimelurker pointed out, this simply goes with the territory, account was closed for inactivity.

Message 5 of 14
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Well I'm not surprised at all they closed it. They gave you a big cli and you still never used their card. Companies don't like that!

+1

Especially Barclays. I've got my NFL rewards card in the SD and I'm just waiting for them to close it.
Maybe I'll go buy a pack of gum or something. Lol Smiley Tongue

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 6 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DaylightSlaving wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

+1

Especially Barclays. I've got my NFL rewards card in the SD and I'm just waiting for them to close it.
Maybe I'll go buy a pack of gum or something. Lol Smiley Tongue

I would just so it keeps it active. Local gas station, get some soda or something.

Message 7 of 14
itsmemikeyg
Valued Member

Oh its definatly closed. I contacted Barclays, interinstingly enough they said its because I hadnt used the card in the past few months. Not that I NEVER used the card. Again, I get the closure I just dont like that "CLOSED BY GRANTOR" lol

American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card / American Express Blue 30K / Discover It 33.5K / Bank of America Cash Rewards 16K / Citi Diamond Preferred 10.3K / Chase Freedom 10K / Chase Marriott Rewards Premier 5K / Best Buy Card 2.7K / Chase Slate 2.5K / Chase Freedom 1K
Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@itsmemikeyg wrote:

Oh its definatly closed. I contacted Barclays, interinstingly enough they said its because I hadnt used the card in the past few months. Not that I NEVER used the card. Again, I get the closure I just dont like that "CLOSED BY GRANTOR" lol

While the creditor's comment may seem like it has a negative connotation, it really doesn't.  It's all relative, if you had several accounts that had such notation in one shot, then yes it probably wouldn't look favorably if it came up on a manual review.  But one account, no biggie, it is simply coded as expected it the lender decided to close the tradeline for inactivity.   Albeit, they beat you to it, otherwise it would reflect as CLOSED BY CONSUMER.

Message 9 of 14
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

What if you only use their cards for balance transfers? Do you guys think they would close it because of that? Barclays is my oldest card and definitely do no want it closed, although I hardly ever use it for purchases, maybe I should start. For the last three years I've been using it just for their awesome 0% 15 months balance transfers, never had it swiped for a purchase once.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.