Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mervyns CC Closure.

tag
kay82
Regular Contributor

Re: Mervyns CC Closure.

It would be nice if they offered to let TL holders take the CL somewhere else but no such luck yet keep your fingers crossed Ive read my last 2 statements and nothing yet Smiley Sad
12-08 TU 654 EQ 630 EX 628

12-08 TU 640 new accounts

1-31-09 EQ 644 15% util !!!
2-10-09 EX 663 15% util !!!
Message 11 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

kay82 wrote:
Im in SoCal just got approved for a target card but with that card closing that takes away 8 years of credit history....but on the statement it said no more purchases can be made with the card ....

Don't forget that even closed accounts should remain on your reports, helping your age, for 10 years.

Still a PITA if they don't convert you and keep the opening date, though!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 22
kay82
Regular Contributor

I truly hope so as I would hate to lose that type of history I wanted to pay it off and get it below 10% util, to help bump my score but it seems as if its going to be of no use I had the card since 2000 and didnt know it was open so it had a 0 bal for many years with no CL increase whatsoever so should I put the extra cash towards paying down my secured? Im trying to keep hope alive I was so tempted to apply for a Macy's but I dont want to waste an inquiry and get denied for my EX Fico is only 581

Message 13 of 22
laz98
Senior Contributor

@kay82 wrote:
It would be nice if they offered to let TL holders take the CL somewhere else but no such luck yet. keep your fingers crossed. Ive read my last 2 statements and nothing yet Smiley Sad

no kidding.  we haven't had this card as long as some people (just under a year), but it's still a positive tradeline that we would like to keep open.  i emailed them about what kind of action gemb is going to take.  still waiting for a response, though.  i will share with you all when/if i get one.

Message 14 of 22
kay82
Regular Contributor

That wuould be great and I will do the same if I get any info. as well !!

Message 15 of 22
laz98
Senior Contributor

Well, this is what stupid Mervyns emailed me today (boy, they took FOREVER!!!)

Please understand that a Mervyns credit card account cannot be converted to an account offered by GE Money Bank for another merchant. To receive an account for another retailer, please submit an application for that retailer. Most merchants offer applications in store and online.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 22
voidman
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

Well, this is what stupid Mervyns emailed me today (boy, they took FOREVER!!!)

Please understand that a Mervyns credit card account cannot be converted to an account offered by GE Money Bank for another merchant. To receive an account for another retailer, please submit an application for that retailer. Most merchants offer applications in store and online.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Laz for the info.

-void
Message 17 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just posted on the other thread:

You know, there's a reason why I don't like GEMB. Smiley Mad

Other banks do this routinely. This is shoddy, terrible "service" by GEMB.

eta: "this" as in offering a replacement card.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-18-2008 03:35 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad I closed it then--I beat them to the punch!
Message 19 of 22
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I'm going to briefly resurrect this thread.  My wife has a Mervyn's credit card.  As many people know, Mervyn's has gone the way of the dodo, and its card issued by GEMB is useless and won't be replaced with another card to keep people's tradelines open.  At least one person on another thread mentioned that her husband's Mervyn's credit account has been closed as of last November.

My wife just pulled her TU credit report, and the Mervyn's card is still open and reporting zero balances.  She hasn't had a balance on this account for over a year, long before Mervyn's entered bankruptcy.  The report states that it was last reported in February.

What to do about this account?  It contributes relatively little to her account age (only about 2-3 years old) and has a low CL ($1000).  However, it is one of only a handful of cards for which she is the individual owner - most of the cards we have list me as the account owner and her as an authorized user.

My inclination is to just let GEMB close the account whenever they get around to it.  Does anyone disagree with this approach? 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.