Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message from USAA ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message from USAA ??

I've been reading a lot on here and decided to put up $1K for a secured USAA CC so I could get another positive TL on my CR.  I currently have $1K with Cap One with $0 balance (reporting for 28 mos.... no CLI on the account, but never asked... no lates). 

Well, I sent USAA a message from my online account requesting an app for the secured CC and this is what I got back:

Dear Ms. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in a credit card with USAA. At this time, we do not offer a secured credit card. We continually look for ways to improve our products and services for our members and will share your request with management.

You are welcome to apply for a USAA Platinum MasterCard or USAA American Express. 

We value your 16 years of membership with USAA.

What gives?  I used to work for them as a CSR (best job I ever had!).  I currently have checking/savings/and renters/auto insurance with them. 

They had mailed a CC offer to me in 2008 that I replied to... just to have them deny it.  My scores are better now but I dare not waste an inquiry on another attempt.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Message from USAA ??

Can't live in fear your whole life...Smiley Wink you gotta just pull the trigger. If your scores are better then you should be ok....maybe.

Good luck

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL... yeah, I know.  They are better but not perfect.  Medical out of SOL.. waiting on HIPAA process to remove them.  Lates from bad divorce years and recovery period (oldest late is 3 yrs 4 mos. but Score Watch considers that "recent"... go figure). 

I'm going to send out a couple of GWs and see what happens with those and wait for the med accts to fall off before applying for any unsecured card.

But I'm wondering why I was told that USAA did not have a secured card when the clearly do by all of the posts about in these forums????

Thanks for replying (and for making me chuckle) Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know for a fact they have a secured card, although I suppose they could have discontinued it in the last month.

The way I know is that I talked to a CSR and asked about it, and got transferred to the dept that handles it.  Apparently it's a pilot program.  They sent me an application.

Message 4 of 6
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Look at the website whogavemecredit.com

It appears as if you are about on the border of getting approved, so I don't think one inquiry would kill you.  Look through it a bit more closely, and I think you may decide to apply for a standard credit card.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info Jack and Travis!  I'll see what I can find out.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.