Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miles Card Recommendation

tag
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Miles Card Recommendation

My current portfolio of cards is in my signature. I am looking to add a miles card to the mix to start building rewards in that category. Could anyone provide suggestions for top miles cards? In hindsight, I somewhat regret going for the three cash back cards that I have, because I'm not sure that I will need all of these if I get a miles card too. It especially hurts at times like this upcoming quarter where both Chase and Discover categories are restaurants.

Cheers!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Miles Card Recommendation

@dbutz1109 wrote:

My current portfolio of cards is in my signature. I am looking to add a miles card to the mix to start building rewards in that category. Could anyone provide suggestions for top miles cards? In hindsight, I somewhat regret going for the three cash back cards that I have, because I'm not sure that I will need all of these if I get a miles card too. It especially hurts at times like this upcoming quarter where both Chase and Discover categories are restaurants.

Cheers!

You'll get a lot of answers as to which is the best but ultimately that's something you have to decide because only you know your travel needs.  A very good is the Chase Sapphire Preferred because of your ability to transfer those points to a variety of airline.  When combined with your Freedom card they have the ability to earn quite a few miles.  Various AMEX cards like the RD and EDP work in similar fashion to earn AMEX points.  Some of the charge cards often have large bonues where you can earn many points by meeting spend requirements.  While technically none of these are true mileage cards they can be very valuable in earning those points that are transferable to mileage programs.

Message 2 of 7
AAstra
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dbutz1109 wrote:

Cheers!

You'll get a lot of answers as to which is the best but ultimately that's something you have to decide because only you know your travel needs.  A very good is the Chase Sapphire Preferred because of your ability to transfer those points to a variety of airline.  When combined with your Freedom card they have the ability to earn quite a few miles.  Various AMEX cards like the RD and EDP work in similar fashion to earn AMEX points.  Some of the charge cards often have large bonues where you can earn many points by meeting spend requirements.  While technically none of these are true mileage cards they can be very valuable in earning those points that are transferable to mileage programs.

Thanks for the response. I was actually eyeing the Sapphire since I do already have the Freedom. I guess my fear is, if I throw a "mileage" card into my portfolio, that I won't be able to utilize the credit on all of my cards then. I have the Citi Sears and Barclays Apple sockdrawered, so I guess I could toss one of the ones I currently hold in with those, but I'm not sure if I should given that they are higher limits and bigger creditors.

Message 3 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think before deciding on what kind of card you want to get , you should set up an plan of what you want and where in particular you want to go. If you know where you want to go finding an card will be much easier. As stated above since you have freedom already, CSP is an good choice for card to accrue UR with 5x quarters and 2x on travel and dining. 

If your spending and income supports its an good combo would be EDP or PRG for gas and groceries and travel and then CSP or citi premeir/prestige for dining and travel. Later in the spring i believe PRG will be adding restaurants as well to their categories 2x i believe. I am not sure Amex has as broad of an defintion of restaurants as chase does though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 7
AAstra
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think before deciding on what kind of card you want to get , you should set up an plan of what you want and where in particular you want to go. If you know where you want to go finding an card will be much easier. As stated above since you have freedom already, CSP is an good choice for card to accrue UR with 5x quarters and 2x on travel and dining. 

If your spending and income supports its an good combo would be EDP or PRG for gas and groceries and travel and then CSP or citi premeir/prestige for dining and travel. Later in the spring i believe PRG will be adding restaurants as well to their categories 2x i believe. I am not sure Amex has as broad of an defintion of restaurants as chase does though. 

All great points - thank you! Also, I was not aware that the points from Freedom and CSP would combine that I could then use in total...that would be good.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP and Freedom in tandem is very popular, since you already have half of it I would venture to recommend that. Depending on spending habits you may come out ahead that way - with those two you can make a killing in UR points
Message 6 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

The Freedom / CSP combo is very popular indeed. I would research the different types of cards and see which fits you best. You frequenly have to put more spend on a travel card than a cash back card to get something significant out of it. The flip side is that you can get pretty good value from travel cards depending on redemption.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.