Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miles Cards like Arrival/Venture may be superior to Airline cards

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Miles Cards like Arrival/Venture may be superior to Airline cards

@B335is wrote:
People seem to be forgetting the Arrival and Venture AF when computing cash back amounts and baggage fee waivers. Arrival and Venture are really cash back cards marketed as miles cards.

The Venture isn't worth it for me other than the first year. I agree with you on that. The Arrival + would be valuable even after the first year, for me. Would yield more CB for me in the same year than if I had just used the DC because of the 10% bonus being more than the AF. Plus, you can now use your CB towards the AF on the Arrival +. Obviously, it would depend on the level of spend for each person as to where the DC vs Arrival would be the winner.

Message 31 of 49
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

@B335is wrote:
People seem to be forgetting the Arrival and Venture AF when computing cash back amounts and baggage fee waivers. Arrival and Venture are really cash back cards marketed as miles cards.

The Venture isn't worth it for me other than the first year. I agree with you on that. The Arrival + would be valuable even after the first year, for me. Would yield more CB for me in the same year than if I had just used the DC because of the 10% bonus being more than the AF. Plus, you can now use your CB towards the AF on the Arrival +. Obviously, it would depend on the level of spend for each person as to where the DC vs Arrival would be the winner.

This is the point that kdm has been making and I agree. I don't see myself keeping the Venture past the first year, unless the AF is waived for the second year, which probably isn't likely.

Message 32 of 49
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It's not an apples to apples comparison applurker. Yes they all have AF but what comes with that (free bags, higher boarding priority, inflight discounts, sometimes limited lounge access) makes it all subjective.

As I pointed out earlier, a last minute $700 ticket cost me 30k DL points but that same ticket would have cost 60-70k Arrival points.
Message 33 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
It's not an apples to apples comparison applurker. Yes they all have AF but what comes with that (free bags, higher boarding priority, inflight discounts, sometimes limited lounge access) makes it all subjective.

As I pointed out earlier, a last minute $700 ticket cost me 30k DL points but that same ticket would have cost 60-70k Arrival points.

True that. They do have their perks. 

Message 34 of 49
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

If you know how to use airline miles, MR, or UR i still think they will always give you better value in almost every situation. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 35 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

If you know how to use airline miles, MR, or UR i still think they will always give you better value in almost every situation. 

I certainly agree. Nobody here is denying that, but the time and effort it can take to maximize your rewards isn't worth it for some people.

Message 36 of 49
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I certainly agree. Nobody here is denying that, but the time and effort it can take to maximize your rewards isn't worth it for some people.

Very true. Some would rather take a simpler approach.

Message 37 of 49
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Outside of applying for the bonus on the Arrival bonusm and dumping it after the first year, I think the high spenders and the frequent travelers are better served with the Arrival. They get airline miles + the cashback from the Arrival+.

Like I said, it's for high spenders, but one can't discount buying revenue tickets and amassing rewards that way, while getting 2.22% CB at the same time. AND if you're a frequent traveler, you've already got the checked bag, etc. through your status.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 38 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Outside of applying for the bonus on the Arrival bonusm and dumping it after the first year, I think the high spenders and the frequent travelers are better served with the Arrival. They get airline miles + the cashback from the Arrival+.

Like I said, it's for high spenders, but one can't discount buying revenue tickets and amassing rewards that way, while getting 2.22% CB at the same time. AND if you're a frequent traveler, you've already got the checked bag, etc. through your status.

That's also a good point. People that travel all the time usually have all the perks that the best travel cards offer already through airline programs or others so they don't need it in a CC. Just something to thingk about

Message 39 of 49
kdm31091
Super Contributor

What it comes down to is like anything else, it depends on your wants, needs, spend, etc. While I find it silly to use a Venture or Arrival instead of a plain cashback card, that's just because to me a more flexible cashback card suits my needs better. But there is no real right or wrong answer and everyone just has to figure out what works best for them.

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.