Established Member
ajhno

Miles cards

My partner is looking to get a miles card for his other business and is curious what the CLs on these cards (ie from Chase, Citi, etc) are these days. I know there is no solid answer, but is it ever, for example, less than $1000? Or more than $20k? Is there any range? Not that a score alone will help, but I think he is around 710 mid with no recent problems. I just wonder if you can actually get enough of a CL to make the card worthwhile.
Regular Contributor
anevilpetingzoo

Re: Miles cards

I have the Chase United MP Visa.  It started out with a 7k line and after a hard pull went to 12k in a year.  

However, it is a visa signature, so there is no preset spending limit.

Valued Member
steppingup

Re: Miles cards

I have Chase United Mileage Plus that I opened in Feb '06. It started with a $10K line and it's paid in full every month. A few months after I had it I did ask for CLI because between business and wedding I was going to go over. They bumped it to $13,500, but technically it has no limit. A few months ago they increased it to $16,500, but it doesn't do me much good because of the no limit thing. I can carry up to $16,500, but would never carry on this card because higher rate than non rewards cards. They don't report the limit, rather they only report the high balance of $13,501. If I hadn't had that one huge month of expenses it would be hurtful. I charge anywhere from $1,700-$3,500 month on it, but if I didn't have a big balance at any point it would like my util was really high.

I think with their annual fee they do have to give you a decent limit. It wouldn't make sense to pay $60/yr for a card if you weren't charging a bare bones min of $2K/mo.

Starting Score: 704
Current Score: 724
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+