Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military and AMEX Platinum

tag
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Military and AMEX Platinum

Well, I am in a pickle. I am eligible to upgrade to AMEX Plat. I found out through co-workers that AD military can have the annual $450 waived. Sure enough, I called and it is true. The problem is that I am getting more rewards through my PRG. I don't fly as much and I could benefit the hotel stay. What I want to know is, should go for it just because of the no annual fees or stick to my PRG. The only way I would upgrade is if I can continue get the annual fee waived when I am a retiree. Don't hurt to take advantage of....;-)

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Military and AMEX Platinum

@birjest wrote:
Well, I am in a pickle. I am eligible to upgrade to AMEX Plat. I found out through co-workers that AD military can have the annual $450 waived. Sure enough, I called and it is true. The problem is that I am getting more rewards through my PRG. I don't fly as much and I could benefit the hotel stay. What I want to know is, should go for it just because of the no annual fees or stick to my PRG. The only way I would upgrade is if I can continue get the annual fee waived when I am a retiree. Don't hurt to take advantage of....;-)

Thers is no point to platinum if you don't need lounge and you don't care about flashing platinum!

Rewards are better on Gold and you know it too!

Message 2 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@birjest wrote:

Thers is no point to platinum if you don't need lounge and you don't care about flashing platinum!

Rewards are better on Gold and you know it too!

+1

Message 3 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Very true!!! I was always leaning toward the reward portion of the cards.

Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Any chance they'll waive the AF for the gold card also?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
Scott90
Contributor

As far as I know Amex waives the AF on all of their cards for AD military. I'd give them a call.
Message 6 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@Scott90 wrote:
As far as I know Amex waives the AF on all of their cards for AD military. I'd give them a call.

As far as i know, they waive the AF on all cards for active duty, deployed. Send in your orders and it's done.

Message 7 of 11
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

Keep the Gold and App for the Platinum to have both, problem solved.

Message 8 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

I called CS to waived my AF for my PRG.  The only reason why I would upgrade to Plat would to be  flashy.  That would be kinda shallow...Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah I agree that if they'll waive all the fees why not have both ??
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.