Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Millennials and credit card use

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Millennials and credit card use

@Credit_hawk wrote:

I would stay away from any political commentary. They don't allow it and for good reason. Four pages of other people managed to talk about it without slipping political talking points in there.

Yes, you are correct.  I didn't mean to say anything to start a discussion about politics, and I have edited my reply accordingly.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 51 of 149
andre181
Established Contributor

I'm a millenial. Age 27.

See my card profile below, I love my cards Heart

Among the people in my circle of friends, its a mixed bag. A few are like me and understand how credit works, the benefits, and potential pitfalls, and they use credit like I do to earn rewards and they do so responsibly.

A few are terrified of credit. They have 1 or no credits cards and only use them for emergencies and like to have cards with very low limits so as not to get into trouble. 

I think most of the "fear" of credit cards among people my age come from a lack of understanding and lack of trust with the banks. 

I also have a theory that some millenials refuse to acknowledge that they are adults and see credit cards as an "adult" thing, and therefore they aren't worthy of a credit card. 

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 52 of 149
android01
Valued Contributor

And then, there is this......

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/what-about-the-chase-sapphire-reserve-card-that-has-millennials-lin...

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 53 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/what-about-the-chase-sapphire-reserve-card-that-has-millennials-lin...

I feel like a lot of demand for the CSR is from the churning/travel hacking community and not millennials in general. That also means that the CSR might not be sustainable for Chase without changes but that's for a different thread.

Message 54 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a 47 year old, it has been very interesting for me to read through this thread with many of the posts being made by millennials. As someone who saw the frugality of my grandparents who raised me and lived my high school years during the "I'm a material girl" 80's, and finally crashed and burned into BK in my 40's, I can value most of what has been said by everyone. There is a generational component, there is an experential component, there is a personality component, and there is also a lifestage component to the embracing vs. aversion to credit.  There is a true beauty to paying cash for everything, and I think there is a great lesson there, so I would be hard pressed to knock anyone for that. But there is also beauty in maximizing the perks that CC's offer. For about 6 months after BK I was averse to anything credit, and it felt great to pay cash for everything. But now that I am rebuilding, understanding that credit is necessary to lower interest rates for an auto loan or mortgage, I am taking full advantage of the rewards that credit cards offer. I see them as a means to offset purchase and vacation costs, all while building a strong credit profile to get me where I want to go. I think it's easy to think there is a right and a wrong, but I think it is much more complex than that. It is my hope that everyone, millennial or not, has enough information to make an educated decision whether to credit or not to credit...and whatever that decision may be will be celebrated as the best for that person.

Message 55 of 149
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@android01 wrote:

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/what-about-the-chase-sapphire-reserve-card-that-has-millennials-lining-pay-450-annual-fee/DAyd55w8IMykKUaHeMMrhP/

I feel like a lot of demand for the CSR is from the churning/travel hacking community and not millennials in general. That also means that the CSR might not be sustainable for Chase without changes but that's for a different thread.

Could be.  I just don't know many millenials who are interested in, or even know or understand the churning/travel hacking process.  Other than the ones who post here and likeminded credit forums. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 56 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As a 47 year old, it has been very interesting for me to read through this thread with many of the posts being made by millennials. As someone who saw the frugality of my grandparents who raised me and lived my high school years during the "I'm a material girl" 80's, and finally crashed and burned into BK in my 40's, I can value most of what has been said by everyone. There is a generational component, there is an experential component, there is a personality component, and there is also a lifestage component to the embracing vs. aversion to credit.  There is a true beauty to paying cash for everything, and I think there is a great lesson there, so I would be hard pressed to knock anyone for that. But there is also beauty in maximizing the perks that CC's offer. For about 6 months after BK I was averse to anything credit, and it felt great to pay cash for everything. But now that I am rebuilding, understanding that credit is necessary to lower interest rates for an auto loan or mortgage, I am taking full advantage of the rewards that credit cards offer. I see them as a means to offset purchase and vacation costs, all while building a strong credit profile to get me where I want to go. I think it's easy to think there is a right and a wrong, but I think it is much more complex than that. It is my hope that everyone, millennial or not, has enough information to make an educated decision whether to credit or not to credit...and whatever that decision may be will be celebrated as the best for that person.

You are a young 47 Bella! Your spirit comes out in every post and I never would have guessed you were in your 40's. You are an asset to this forum. Glad you are here! 

Message 57 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are a young 47 Bella! Your spirit comes out in every post and I never would have guessed you were in your 40's. You are an asset to this forum. Glad you are here! 

Thanks, Justagirl, I really appreciate that! The feeling is mutual. Smiley Happy

P.S. I just wish my body would get the never would have guessed I was in my 40's memo, lol!

Message 58 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just turned 30 this year. Didn't get my first cc until about 1.5/two years ago. I think the biggest problem with our generation is just not having been educated on credit.I remember growing up seeingy mother struggle with being in debt and thinking that cc were evil. And should only be used in an extreme emergency.

I used debit for everything. Even now having credit cards I have to stop myself from reaching for my debit. It's all about knowing how to manage your debt and being educated on how to do it.
Message 59 of 149
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

I just turned 37, so I am at the tail end of Gen X, but I have Millenial friends and family.  I notice that my millenial older children fear credit cards, while those who are the babies of their families tend to be more comfortable with credit cards.  I guess it may come from wisdom passed down from siblings.

I personally prefer credit cards because I feel they are more secure.  I lost one of mine in the store a couple of months ago and didn't bat an eyelash (I did post post about it here though Smiley Happy).  I never had to fear someone was taking my savings or anything.  Whereas I have a married cousin who just bought a home, uses only debit, and FINALLY decided to pull the trigger on buying a car.  I figured he was waiting to close on the house before getting the car.  He's only 24, so he is pretty new to credit and didn't have the chance to accumulate baddies.  I would guess his way would be ideal if someone was going from the dorm to marriage.

I see the logic on both sides though.  Different strokes for different folks.

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 60 of 149
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.