Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini App-spree timing

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

Mini App-spree timing

So, BECU recently gave me a CLI from 1k to 10K. So, I must be doing something right. I would like to get some higher limit cards now because I should be in the 700's on EQ and EX. I have not tested that theory, though. But, I had a 682 FICO on EQ when I app'd for my Sam's club line last year, with much higher util than I do now. Currently I have a 21% util, and it was in the 60's then. TU is a little different as they are slow to report and as of last Thursday had just over 40% UTIL and a 663 (FICO per report rep pulled on phone). I also still show a paid tax lien on TU only from 2007.

So, BECU has not reported yet and will not report until around the 19th next month. I would like to get a Discover as my CO has fallen off of TU and EX as of last month, still shows on EQ. Just waiting for it to fall off before apping Discover. If you can see where I'm going with the cards on my list, it is cash back. I hope Discover can forgive my CO. It is 7 years old and settled (not PIF). If anyone has experience with getting approved/denied in that situation, let me know. I really enjoyed my Discover card and want it back.

I would also like to get a Citi Forward. If I can get two 5K+ limits on those two cards, I will be happy.

I plan to ask for a CLI on my Chase card as I just combined 2 Freedom cards yesterday (1 old WaMu) to a $3,500 limit. CSR said that I would likely qualify for a higher limit, but said I could not request a CLI for 3 business days. They did a soft pull for the consolidation, but will do a hard for CLI. I am going to call back next week and request 10K.

The 2 Cap1 and the BBRZMC (CC's listed in siggy), I plan on getting rid of. I did get a CLI from Household and BBRZMC last week after I requested the CLI from BECU. I went on their website and pressed luv button (both soft) and got $750 from Household and $500 from BBRZMC. But, I don't think I will get anymore increases because Cap1 will eventually take over their management. Also, my Houeshold has my 2nd-best interest rate at 14.99% (BECU is 12.90%). So, I have set my standards on cards that will not grow, the minimum I want is 2K. I do not count store cards, although, I will not use my Zales card and have SD'd it completely because of Zales' stupid policy that no matter what the price, I always have to put money down and cannot finance the whole thing. What is the point of having available credit if you can't use it? It will just eventually close itself and I don't care. I would expect Lowe's, Sam's, and Kohls to grow and I can always ask for more from Care Credit if I need it for financing, but for now, it is at a 0 balance, so is not hurting my Util.  Also cancelling Juniper because Barclay's has not been nice to me over the past couple of years.  Rate-jacked (they blamed the CARD act), added annual fee and rewards program I did not ask for, and now a CLD last month.  Don't need their drama.

I am looking for a timeframe to apply for the above. I have such an itchy trigger finger. But once I get these, I am done. Any caution as to which I do first? Wait for BECU to post new limit? Apply now? Will it matter as to the credit line the other banks give me? Any alternatives anyone can suggest for higher limits/better interest rates/better cash back potential?

Sorry for the book. Thanks for your time.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mini App-spree timing

@heirophant wrote:

"So, I have set my standards on cards that will not grow...."

Huh?  I think you meant "cards that WILL grow..."  but, anyway -- keep working on getting your Credit Reports sparking clean with NO baddies on any of them.  Keep your utilization below 9% and then pull your FICO® from EQ and see if its in the 700s or VERY NEAR to the 700s.  When you get to this place, you can carry out your app spree and enjoy approval after approval! 

I wish you the best!

Message 2 of 6
G19OD
Contributor

Citi Forward will grant you at least a 5k limit, IMHO.

When I app spreed last weekend, I only had a BoA 1-2-3 Cash Rewards at 1.9k. That day in this order I did AMEX ZYNC (NSPL) --> Citi Freedom (5k) ---> BECU (1k)

Could you please tell me how/what you did to go from 1k to 10k with BECU?

Message 3 of 6
heirophant
Established Contributor

Discernment - I really meant it the way I said it, but really either way you say it, it says the same thing. Thanks for the kind wishes.

G19OD - I only told them that I wanted to do a BT. I requested 7K, they instantly approved 10K. What CBR did citi pull for you? I wonder what the average minimum is for the card?

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 4 of 6
heirophant
Established Contributor

Also, with the BECU account, it has been open for 2 years. PIF multiple times and never late.

Mortgage 11/20
Message 5 of 6
heirophant
Established Contributor

Update: Chase denied CLI.  I did speak with an analyst and he asked me a bunch of questions, then said I had adequate available credit.  It was a soft pull on EQ.  I confirmed this by bringing up a new report from AMEX Credit Secure after I was done apping today.  I forgot to ask the score though, darn it.

After I got off the phone with him, decided to app for Citi Forward, instant approval for $6,500.  Awesome!  I am jacked right now.  I now know I have a FICO of 688 on EX, which they pulled, thanks to their automated system that spat out a report at me.  So, I know EX and TU are not above 700.  Guess I can update my siggy now with a couple of true FICO's.

Just waiting now for Discover to fall off my EQ, then will app.

Edit to Add:  I do have a CO with Citi from 2005 that recently fell off my reports.  It was an old Key Bank mastercard (Key sold their CC accounts to Citi in the late 90's or early 2000's).  It was settled, not PIF.  So, Citi must not blacklist forever.

Mortgage 11/20
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.