Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini app spree and Info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mini app spree and Info

Just two cards more like a miniscule app spree but decided it was time to take the plunge.  Maybe the criteria for major banks is loosening a bit dunno.  However applied for DIscover More and Citi dividend platinum select.  Got approved for both via internet.  Discover via pre-selection had an old account closed with them circa 2001 and Citi cold app however they were sending me pre-selected offers throughout 2011 and a couple pre-approvals just wasn't making any moves in 2011. MY last app was in 3/11 mortgage pull decided not to take that plunge either at that time.

The limit for citi is 1600 and the limit for Discover is 5500. Discover pulled Eq and gave me my fico.  Citi however pulled Experian, i'm in CT but instead of giving me a FIco they gave me a vantage Maybe the range was 250-900.  My take is this is result of the card act requiring them to give you a score but not specifically a fico so they push the Experian score.  I'm thinking this is maybe not the score they pulled for the credit pull but the score they'll give me so if i keep up and order experian's score the numbers won't clash but whatever.

Little background info no baddies reported since may '09 however I do have a dirty report so i just wanted to give some of you a heads up.  Two charges offs one dofd 12/05 the other 12/06, a CA dofd 5/05 due to fall off in a couple months would have waited but i had a AF coming up and i wanted the account open during the pull.  Also a 60 day late via 07.

INqs exp 6,Eq 3

Hope that helps if someone thinking about whether they measure up but it still a crap shoot ... cheers

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Mini app spree and Info

Congrats! Nice starting limit with Discover

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just two cards more like a miniscule app spree but decided it was time to take the plunge.  Maybe the criteria for major banks is loosening a bit dunno.  However applied for DIscover More and Citi dividend platinum select.  Got approved for both via internet.  Discover via pre-selection had an old account closed with them circa 2001 and Citi cold app however they were sending me pre-selected offers throughout 2011 and a couple pre-approvals just wasn't making any moves in 2011. MY last app was in 3/11 mortgage pull decided not to take that plunge either at that time.

The limit for citi is 1600 and the limit for Discover is 5500. Discover pulled Eq and gave me my fico.  Citi however pulled Experian, i'm in CT but instead of giving me a FIco they gave me a vantage Maybe the range was 250-900.  My take is this is result of the card act requiring them to give you a score but not specifically a fico so they push the Experian score.  I'm thinking this is maybe not the score they pulled for the credit pull but the score they'll give me so if i keep up and order experian's score the numbers won't clash but whatever.

Little background info no baddies reported since may '09 however I do have a dirty report so i just wanted to give some of you a heads up.  Two charges offs one dofd 12/05 the other 12/06, a CA dofd 5/05 due to fall off in a couple months would have waited but i had a AF coming up and i wanted the account open during the pull.  Also a 60 day late via 07.

INqs exp 6,Eq 3

Hope that helps if someone thinking about whether they measure up but it still a crap shoot ... cheers

Very nice CL for Discover Congrats!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Congrats on 2 great cards that will grow with you. Looked like you did your homework and went for the cards that fit your needs.

Message 4 of 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

That gives me some hope for Citi.  I'm going to app with them in a couple weeks after my mortgage closes.  I had a card way bad in the day with them but they closed it.  They are about the last major bank I don't have an account with that I do want one with.  The 18 month 0% intro rate is also very appearling.

Message 5 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

Nice CL on the Discover Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Since you had an old account from 2001, do they print "member since 2001" on your new card? I have a discover more that I opened in 1999 is the reason I was asking. It's my primary card and oldest account. It was in my moms sock drawer for 6 yrs before I started using it.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Since you had an old account from 2001, do they print "member since 2001" on your new card? I have a discover more that I opened in 1999 is the reason I was asking. It's my primary card and oldest account. It was in my moms sock drawer for 6 yrs before I started using it.

OP had a Discover that he closed and as far as I know Discover doesn't backdate like AMEX.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx LS2982, Guava, and TnTexans 72....

Tn you give me too much credit i had prior business with both companies that's the main reason I went with those two.  As said earlier i had an account with discover that I closed in 2001 because I didn't trust myself with credit at that time so i closed all the cards I had.  Citi i just finished paying off a student loan with them and right after that posted as closed on my CR they started sending me pre-selections and pre-approvals like clockwork but i wasn't ready to plunge at that time.  That's probably why i didn't try say a Chase Freedom becuase that's another card that interest me but i'm done applying for cards for a while.

Yea i thought the discover was gonna give me a CL in line with Citi becuase when i got approved they didn't say for how much I had to check later on the website to find out but I was pleasantly surprised none the less.  So far to me i think they offer the better deals online than Citi.

**Update**

Due to the fact that when i was doing the Citi application and it was taking very long time without giving me an answer (20 mins), I tried to refresh the screen and ending up doing the whole application all over again then i was approved.  Citi sent two cards same limit one HP.  Haven't activated them yet.  Not sure what to do with the second one.  I don't think they'll report them unless they're activated. Any suggestions ...

Message 9 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thx LS2982, Guava, and TnTexans 72....

Tn you give me too much credit i had prior business with both companies that's the main reason I went with those two.  As said earlier i had an account with discover that I closed in 2001 because I didn't trust myself with credit at that time so i closed all the cards I had.  Citi i just finished paying off a student loan with them and right after that posted as closed on my CR they started sending me pre-selections and pre-approvals like clockwork but i wasn't ready to plunge at that time.  That's probably why i didn't try say a Chase Freedom becuase that's another card that interest me but i'm done applying for cards for a while.

Yea i thought the discover was gonna give me a CL in line with Citi becuase when i got approved they didn't say for how much I had to check later on the website to find out but I was pleasantly surprised none the less.  So far to me i think they offer the better deals online than Citi.

**Update**

Due to the fact that when i was doing the Citi application and it was taking very long time without giving me an answer (20 mins), I tried to refresh the screen and ending up doing the whole application all over again then i was approved.  Citi sent two cards same limit one HP.  Haven't activated them yet.  Not sure what to do with the second one.  I don't think they'll report them unless they're activated. Any suggestions ...

Well...you know Chase Freedom is geared toward Discover customers and vice versa. I would let Discover report for 6 solid months than go after that Chase Freedom to get that $200 signup bonus. More than likely, Chase will match the Discover CL. If you get approved by Chase and they don't match the starting CL, I would call in asap to request a CLI. I believe if you call in within 24hr of getting approved, you can request a CLI without a HP. You might wanna double check but I would tell Chase that they are more widely accepted everywhere else than Discover and that you want your new Chase Freedom card to be your main "go to" card. I am sure they will be happy to hear that and give you that extra cushion. You won't get it if you don't ask Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.