Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Payment?

tag
dtran14
Valued Member

Minimum Payment?

I know the minimum payment is always $25. But should you always pay the min or go over? Pay as much as you can or $50 or $100? Please advise on how to pay the minium payment!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: Minimum Payment?

@dtran14 wrote:

I know the minimum payment is always $25. But should you always pay the min or go over? Pay as much as you can or $50 or $100? Please advise on how to pay the minium payment!

If you can, you should always pay more than the minimum if you have to carry a balance.  Otherwise, it may take awhile and lots of interest money to pay of the balance.  For example: if I have a card with a $1,500 balance, the minimum payment is $60/mo, I would try to pay $100 or more to get the balance down.  Most of that $60 payment would go towards interest, especially if the CC has a high interest rate.

If you are taking advantage of a 0% interest offer, I would still pay more than the minimum and try to have it paid in full before the 0 interest offer ends.

Message 2 of 6
colinstu
Regular Contributor

The minimum payment *isn't* always $25. Read your card's terms. Usually it's "min payment is $X or X% of balance, whichever is greater." 

Also, always try to pay in full (PIF) if you can. If you can't, pay as much as you feel as you can. Making minimum payments are for desparate times where you can't afford to pay any more (or you're making use of a 0% intro apr promo). 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@missjae wrote:

@dtran14 wrote:

If you can, you should always pay more than the minimum if you have to carry a balance.  Otherwise, it may take awhile and lots of interest money to pay of the balance.  For example: if I have a card with a $1,500 balance, the minimum payment is $60/mo, I would try to pay $100 or more to get the balance down.  Most of that $60 payment would go towards interest, especially if the CC has a high interest rate.

If you are taking advantage of a 0% interest offer, I would still pay more than the minimum and try to have it paid in full before the 0 interest offer ends.

+1 if you can't pay in full

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

A good rule that I've stuck with over the years is if you can't afford to PIF, try to pay at least DOUBLE what the minimum payment is.  I figured that way, I could pay down some of the balance and not just interest.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@dtran14 wrote:

But should you always pay the min or go over? Pay as much as you can or $50 or $100? Please advise on how to pay the minium payment!

As much as possible.  Your statement should indicate how long it will take to pay off your balance if you only pay the minimum and how much interest you'll pay as a result.  Take a good look at it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.