cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing my Discover it Card while trying to meet spending limits on CSP and Freedom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Missing my Discover it Card while trying to meet spending limits on CSP and Freedom

I appd for the  CSP & Freedom  because I wanted to Garden for a year before applying for a mortgage. I also wanted to take advantage of wonderful offers. I don't regret apping for new cards because frankly I had been turned away twice with my Discover and I was disappointed in the company that handled Discovers rental car insurance when my car was broken into while I was on vacation. But having said that, Discover just gave me a 4,000 dollar CLI and I love  their web portal and customer servicel. I'm probably not going to be able to use the card much for a couple months if I want the 40,000 points and  I'm a little woried that Discover will snatch their CLI back. Anyone have experiance with this?  Will Discover have  a problem with me changing my spending habits so soon after a CLI? How would you recomend I balance using the CSP, Freedom and Discover It after I meet spending limits? My thought was IT and Freedom for 5 percent purchases and items I need a few months to pay off( I still have  a year 0 percent interest on the two cards) and CSP for everything else.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Missing my Discover it Card while trying to meet spending limits on CSP and Freedom

@Anonymous wrote:

I apped for the  CSP & Freedom  because I wanted to Garden for a year before applying for a mortgage. I also wanted to take advantage of wonderful offers. I don't regret apping for new cards because frankly I had been turned away twice with my Discover and I was disappointed in the company that handled Discovers rental car insurance when my car was broken into while I was on vacation. But having said that, Discover just gave me a 10,000 dollar CLI and I love  their web portal and customer servicel. I'm probably not going to be able to use the card much for a couple months if I want the 40,000 points and  I'm a little woried that Discover will snatch their CLI back. Anyone have experiance with this?  Will Discover have  a problem with me changing my spending habits so soon after a CLI? How would you recomend I balance using the CSP, Freedom and Discover It after I meet spending limits? My thought was IT and Freedom for 5 percent purchases and items I need a few months to pay off( I still have  a year 0 percent interest on the two cards) and CSP for everything else.

I would not even worry about it, have not heard of them doing such a thing.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Missing my Discover it Card while trying to meet spending limits on CSP and Freedom

Discover isn't going to take back your CL. Don't  over think it.  Finish your spend on the Chase cards and then return to using your Discover card as you would normally.

Message 3 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I apped for the  CSP & Freedom  because I wanted to Garden for a year before applying for a mortgage. I also wanted to take advantage of wonderful offers. I don't regret apping for new cards because frankly I had been turned away twice with my Discover and I was disappointed in the company that handled Discovers rental car insurance when my car was broken into while I was on vacation. But having said that, Discover just gave me a 10,000 dollar CLI and I love  their web portal and customer servicel. I'm probably not going to be able to use the card much for a couple months if I want the 40,000 points and  I'm a little woried that Discover will snatch their CLI back. Anyone have experiance with this?  Will Discover have  a problem with me changing my spending habits so soon after a CLI? How would you recomend I balance using the CSP, Freedom and Discover It after I meet spending limits? My thought was IT and Freedom for 5 percent purchases and items I need a few months to pay off( I still have  a year 0 percent interest on the two cards) and CSP for everything else.

Tis how I plan to do.  As cards reach 0 from 0% offers, I will be chopping one card off.  CU first, then probably quicksilver.  I am keeping the Aviator for general spend, BCE for groceries, and discover, freedom for rotating.  Probably keep Amazon Visa for awhile.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! I'll deff stop overthinking and just enjoy  the flexability the cards offer me. 

Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm probably not going to be able to use the card much for a couple months if I want the 40,000 points and  I'm a little woried that Discover will snatch their CLI back. 

They won't.  People tend to assume far too much causality with usage.  Initial limits, APR's. CLI's, AA, etc are going to be based on your overall credit profile and not just usage.

My highest limit card at $30K only sees about $300 in spend each month and it is issued by a notoriously conservative creditor.

@Anonymous wrote:

How would you recomend I balance using the CSP, Freedom and Discover It after I meet spending limits?

Do whatever maximizes rewards on your spend.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm probably not going to be able to use the card much for a couple months if I want the 40,000 points and  I'm a little woried that Discover will snatch their CLI back. 

They won't.  People tend to assume far too much causality with usage.  Initial limits, APR's. CLI's, AA, etc are going to be based on your overall credit profile and not just usage.

My highest limit card at $30K only sees about $300 in spend each month and it is issued by a notoriously conservative creditor.

I find this interesting?! Would you mind if I ask if that 30K is on Amex( IE 3x)? I guess I just wonder why a creditor would extend more credit to someone who doesn't use it. Now, I do get that it's important that they see that you're managing your credit well  and mine is consistantly at 8 percent all of which used to be on the Discover card. But it's my understanding that creditors get money from swipes. If you're not swipping, what incentive would they have to offer CLIs? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.