cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mistakenly didn't accept an Amex CLI offer. What next?

tag
boober
Frequent Contributor

Mistakenly didn't accept an Amex CLI offer. What next?

Hi all. Smiley Happy

I have 2 Amex cards. Both opened at the same time almost a year ago. I've tried a few times to get CLIs on both.

One has a 10k limit and the other is only 1k. 

I tried again tonight on the measly 1k one. I asked to raise my limit to 5k. I submitted it, and was shocked to see they offered me 2k in return. 

I guess I was so taken a back by this offer, that I closed out the browser before I could accept it.

So not sure what to do, I go through all the steps again to ask for another CLI. This time after I submit though, I get the 7-10 day message.

Cripes!

So what happens next? I'm not even really crazy about getting a bump to 2k even if I did accept it. All my other cards that I use are in the 10k to 18k range. So this card is useless but I just really want it up there with my other cards and 2k is still a ways off.

I did get an email right after I tried for both CLIs asking me to call in regards to my CLI. I'm not sure why they want me to call them about this, or if it's even worth the hassle. And I couldn't call tonight because they're closed on Sundays? **bleep**?

Out of curiosity, I tried for a CLI on my other 10k card and was denied on that one.

I'm confused about the way Amex does their CLI's so am I SOL for 90 days on CLI's? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Mistakenly didn't accept an Amex CLI offer. What next?

Seeing as how you turned down (inadvertently) a CLI and then asked for another one, they probably want you call and verify its you asking and not someone pretending to be you. I would simply call explain what you did and ask for the original CLI. What's the worst they could do? Deny it? Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Decide if you want it or not.  Limits on your other cards don't matter.  They are a factor but they are not the only consideration and there are many other factors in your entire credit profile that also matter.  What you qualify for depends on your credit profile and income versus the product's underwriting criteria at time of consideration.  If AmEx determined that to be $2K then that's what you qualified for.

If you want the CLI offered then call.  If not, then wait it out and try again down the road.

Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'd just call at this point. But that is the impatient part of me speaking.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.