Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed Message - AMEX Customer Service

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Mixed Message - AMEX Customer Service

Had a situation from yesterday with American Express that was rather perplexing.

Made an on-line purchase of Green Bay Packers stock, using my AMEX Zync card (GO PACK GO!) as a gift for my son.  When I logged in to my Zync statement on-line a day or two later to see if the purchase had posted and to make a payment, there was an urgent message to call a security number or the number on the back of the card. 

Well I called...or shall I say, tried to call.  First call, was on hold for 35 minutes, finally hung up and tried again.  2nd call to same number...on hold for 15 minutes.  Hung up and tried the number on the back of the card (different number)...on hold for 25 minutes.  Hung up, called the customer service number at the website, was on hold for 20 minutes before finally...FINALLY getting through to a CSR. 

I first told the CSR that I had gotten the urgent message and wanted to know what the issue was.  He asked if I was in Green Bay, I told him that I was not but had made a purchase of GB stock on-line.  He then stated that he saw that, a purchase, but had the quantity of the purchase wrong.  I corrected him, he then stated that he had mis-read the purchase. 

The AMEX CSR was also obviously off-shore Mod Cut  After the above exchange I also advised him that I was very dissatisfied with the length of time it took to actually REACH a CSR, documenting the times with him.  He was extremely apologetic to the point of being embarrassing.

While I can appreciate AMEX's diliegence in preventing fraud, this transaction completely caught me off guard.  I had not used my Zync card recently and of course had no balance on it, so was a bit surprised that a single, simple transaction  would generate this sort of reaction.  Also, having called AMEX customer service in the past, I was completely taken aback that it took so long to actually get a real person.  When I called in, all I got was music...no updates, no canned apologies for the delay...just music. 

I've decided that I'm going to sent AMEX an email documenting this, because it was certainly beyond the norm of what I've come to expect from AMEX. 

Anyone else had similar issues with AMEX?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mixed Message - AMEX Customer Service

That's really strange...I recently had Amex freeze my card when trying to buy gas in my home town (I normally buy gas about once a month, but I had purchased it a few times in the past two weeks in different cities -- I was traveling, so I think my previous purchase of gas triggered a freeze). The card was declined, but I immediately got an email to call in. When I called in, it was all handled immediately by an automated system asking if I attempted the charge. It took less than 5 minutes and my card was back and I was able to make my gas purchase.

My guess is that if you had tried to charge anything after the GB stock, you would have had a freeze put on your card. I'm just surprised that they didn't give you the automatic prompts to clear up the situation. Good call on the email...I bet they will issue a statement credit for your troubles!

Message 2 of 20
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Well that really sucks that you had a bad experiance with AmEx customer service, expecially since I just got approved for their blue cash everyday card.

.... Maybe AmEx is just a jaded Bears fan like me and didnt want you to buy Green Bay stock

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 3 of 20
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Great info, I called a few week ago informing them I am going on travel from oversears to the states, but it seem that I would have to remind them of my travel.  Still, I see no reasons why i need to call them...

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 4 of 20
thom02099
Valued Contributor

.... Maybe AmEx is just a jaded Bears fan like me and didnt want you to buy Green Bay stock

LOL, probably worse.... mod edit

Save it for sports forums, please. --hauling

Message 5 of 20
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@birjest wrote:

Great info, I called a few week ago informing them I am going on travel from oversears to the states, but it seem that I would have to remind them of my travel.  Still, I see no reasons why i need to call them...

They actually specifically say you DON'T need to alert them of travel.

Message 6 of 20
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Fired off an Email to AMEX, got an automated response that I should get a real response within 10 hours. 

Message 7 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

After the above exchange I also advised him that I was very dissatisfied with the length of time it took to actually REACH a CSR, documenting the times with him.  He was extremely apologetic to the point of being embarrassing.

Anyone else had similar issues with AMEX?

To answer your question, yes, I have had issues with Amex CSRs.  When I was activating my Blue card last year the rep was telling me to do something online that I already tried and he wasn't understanding me at all (no language barrier, just wasn't "getting it").  I ended up calling back and getting a rep who "got it."  Recently, I had a rep tell me something about my accounts that is absolutely not true.  We were talking about moving CLs from one card to another, which is actually an option on the Amex site as well.  She was telling me it couldn't be done and that I should open another BCP, with another $75 fee, because I cannot combine limits.  Huh?  Anyway, I haven't had the "excellent" Amex customer service I've read of, then again, maybe those reps are geared more toward Platinum/Gold/charge card users.

I am sorry you had to wait so long to get some help as those wait times seem ridiculous.  A letter was a good idea.  I am not sure what you thought venting to the CSR, who did finally take your call, would do. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. I believe all  Amex CSR are in Arizona, they don't use offshore call centers last I knew.

2. Sometimes you get reps that just don't know the product or fees, credit reports, etc.  I am never afraid to ask for a supervisor based on the fact that I want the correct information.

3. I don't think I have ever held for Amex for more than 10 mintues, I know it's the holidays but, it's not like it's the first they have delt witih! Hope that doesn't continue long.

Message 9 of 20
thom02099
Valued Contributor

.  I am not sure what you thought venting to the CSR, who did finally take your call, would do. 

Was hoping to get a simple explanation as to a potential problem.  If there had been phone problems, computer problems, routing problems, some sort of technical issue, that I could understand and sympathize with.  That was not apparently the case, no explanation, just lots of apologies. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.