Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderators, please read! :)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Moderators, please read! :)

@red259 wrote:

What I love is when I have a question and google it and the hit results show that someone on FT asked the exact same question I have. I click the link to be redirected and when I get to the thread and the only responses are snide posts to use the search function. Why do people feel the need to even take the time to respond to those posts if they are soo annoyed? They just wasted my time, because I was trying to find the answer to the same question. In addition, if someone is kind enough to answer sometimes the answer gets buried in a bunch of posts flaming the OP. Also that post now pops up in the search function for anyone else asking the same question going forward. The jerk posters just increased the clutter of the board and as a result increased the likelihood that someone else may not find the answer and repost the question in a whole new thread. 

The majority of posters in at least the MS section would say that's the way it is meant to be, beginner questions don't get answered because they should spend 2 years reading all the posts, advanced questions don't get answered because it might kill the deal etc.  I thought most of the other sections were friendlier though

Message 61 of 76
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@keithB wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@keithB wrote:
This forum is like a Capital One Secured card... Eventually it will have served its purpose and it will be time to move on. If the mods chase enough users/customers away, I'm sure myFICO may then wake up and make some changes.

I have yet to see one credible instance of "mods chasing users/customers away" in this thread.

If we're doing something wrong, fine tell us and we'll see if we can fix it; however, this type post serves absolutely no purpose without data as from the stats I occasionally get, we are still trending up in both users and post count.  I'm not seeing how we're the big bad wolf, heck none of us is on often enough to do that much damage and every moderator action is tracked and viewable by both other moderators and admins... we're no different than you in that regard. Cat Tongue

I've got no real issue with mods here... I'm here to learn and if you guys wanna censure threads buy burying them and moving them, no big deal, I'll just read another one.

Only thing I find creepy about this board is how mods here expect users to be "supportive" to the point of nauseum. I mean if someone makes a post like "My account got shut down because of my manufactured spending, please help!", we can't say anything to the affect that that was probably wasn't the smartest move. Being supportive is one thing, enabling posters is another Smiley Tongue

This has been discussed previously and our current stance (with some rationale for it in the thread) can be found here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Friendly-Supportive-and-Respectful/m-p/2797115

Even a clue-by-four can be administered respectfully, even if admittedly it sometimes takes a number of rewrites to get it to that point on the ones I post.

        
Message 62 of 76
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SOGGIE wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Please, let me first start off by saying that I do like all of the Mods here. I believe that you are all professional and non-discriminatory towards others and thread topics alike! I value all of your opinions and welcome your veteran feedback when you offer it!

This post is simply a small gripe and I will keep this as professional as possible. I have been a member of these boards for many years and have contributed to more threads than I can calculate on paper. So, as of recent (within the last year) it has been more apparent that The MyFico forums are becoming more and more "moderated". What do I mean by this? Well, to start, in my humble opinion I believe we are having entirely too many threads moved to other forums and/or locked. Yes, this particular forum is about credit cards and it should stay that way! But, we have a lot of members of this community who have left these forums because of how strict it is becoming! We have had some amazing times on here and sometimes change is inevitable, however I don't believe that this forum is changing for the better.

Do we really need 20 threads about Nasa FCU? Well, Yes! We do! Why? Because each thread brings new life and new ideas to this forum along with new information. No need to send these posts to smorgasboard because when you do this it frustrates us and sends good new ideas away. The whole purpose of a forum is to feed off of others and educate one another and when you shut down our threads it shuts us down! Now, I can see yourself saying "Moving the thread is not shutting it down" but the credit card forum is probably one of the most popular credit forums on the web! So by saying you're sending it to smorgasboard to "Get more exposure" you're really not because smorgasboard isn’t nearly as popular hence it doesn’t have the traffic that this forum does.

We have lost a lot of common veteran posters to this forum in the last year due to certain moderator practices which have made the credit card portion of MyFico less appealing as it once was. I know this because I talk to a lot of them on other forums now and through email exchange.

When you see 15 threads about one card, what does this tell you? It says WOW! Something is hot! Something is new! What is it!? So, you'll search and read and that’s fun! So, please mods, stop moving our posts, stop "shutting down" our posts. If we need to find something in the credit forums, we can simply go to the search bar and search for it, no need to move it!

I know all will agree that we like you guys and gals! We also respect you so I hope you will respect this coming from a veteran here, please tone it down J

This message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
information and are intended only for the use of the intended recipients
of this message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender by return email, and delete this and all copies
of this message and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorized
disclosure, use, distribution, or reproduction of this message or any attachments is prohibited and may be unlawful.

To each his own opinion, but I happen to agree with the OP on the issue. I've seen interesting threads moved that may contain various subjects--with the primary subject dealing with the proper category the thread was originally posted in. And yes, that is quite frustrating when you are monitoring a very interesting and properly posted thread that was unnecessarily moved. The OP was courteous and conveyed their concerns quite well. The best of us are able to accept compliments as well as concerns. Having read some of the responses, I’m now very hesitant to purchase a monitoring subscription from MyFICO—which was my primary reason for logging in today. I will now need answers as to who all will have access to and post comments about my personal information.

Where a thread belongs is admittedly subjective in some cases.

I have a simple rule as a soccer referee: any call that I make I'm willing to explain.  I apply the same thing here: if you feel that your thread was unfairly moved (or you have examples of someone else's being moved) ask.  

We're not always right and as humans we make mistakes, but there is a method to our madness.

        
Message 63 of 76
red259
Super Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@keithB wrote:
This forum is like a Capital One Secured card... Eventually it will have served its purpose and it will be time to move on. If the mods chase enough users/customers away, I'm sure myFICO may then wake up and make some changes.

I have yet to see one credible instance of "mods chasing users/customers away" in this thread.

If we're doing something wrong, fine tell us and we'll see if we can fix it; however, this type post serves absolutely no purpose without data as from the stats I occasionally get, we are still trending up in both users and post count.  I'm not seeing how we're the big bad wolf, heck none of us is on often enough to do that much damage and every moderator action is tracked and viewable by both other moderators and admins... we're no different than you in that regard. Cat Tongue

I've got no real issue with mods here... I'm here to learn and if you guys wanna censure threads buy burying them and moving them, no big deal, I'll just read another one.

Only thing I find creepy about this board is how mods here expect users to be "supportive" to the point of nauseum. I mean if someone makes a post like "My account got shut down because of my manufactured spending, please help!", we can't say anything to the affect that that was probably wasn't the smartest move. Being supportive is one thing, enabling posters is another Smiley Tongue

I don't think people are expected to be supportive to the point of nauseum here. Sometimes it feels like the board might break out into a round of kumbaya over a credit card approval but I digress.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 64 of 76
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@keithB wrote:

I don't think people are expected to be supportive to the point of nauseum here. Sometimes it feels like the board might break out into a round of kumbaya over a credit card approval but I digress.

Great answer! I really appreciate your opinion on this matter, and the fact that you're contributing!

Kumbaya my lord....kumbaya

OH lord Kubaya.....

xD I crack me up. 

Message 65 of 76
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Credit Card Approvals have their own category now.  If you care about such things, read it; if you don't, then don't.

There is room for both sets of people here and I'm honestly a bit surprised at the comment.  I view the congrats kumbaya as being different than the FSR ideal anyway, one is pure community, the second is basic human decency though we've admittedly lost much of that as a society and I could argue having built a little corner of the Internet, it never existed online anyway (even back in the BBS-era). 

Old fashioned parents in my case, but I fully agree with the culture FICO has attempted to establish here and the reasons behind it.

        
Message 66 of 76
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Right, and it's the approval cheerleading that to me is the worst part!   Although after the fact, I think better than "Congrats", "WTG" etc are questions like "Did you need another card?" and "Was this the best card for your situation?"  But don't think that will change.

Message 67 of 76
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Since this thread has nothing to do with CCs, I'd move this to Smorgasboard, if I were a Mod.

Well, I was being somewhat facetious, although that would have been great for irony.

I think I prefer the moderators being overzealous instead of letting this forum turn into the Wild West.   I'd prefer the Walmart FICO thread left here and the NASA threads gone, personally.   But we each have our own standards.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 68 of 76
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Right, and it's the approval cheerleading that to me is the worst part!   Although after the fact, I think better than "Congrats", "WTG" etc are questions like "Did you need another card?" and "Was this the best card for your situation?"  But don't think that will change.

These posts used to bother me. Thankfully they are in the minority and everyone can have an opinion, like it or not.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 69 of 76
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@....red259 wrote:

Maybe we should add the "rank" of cheerleader - we could have New Cheerleader, Valued Cheerleader (although that would be subjective) Established Cheerleader, and MEGA Cheerleader based on how many "congrats" are posted.....

mmmm, probaly not.....

Note to Mods: It's meant to be humor, don't hate me for hating the mega-congrats-cheerleaders.

Message 70 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.