Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mom denied for Discover...seeking advice

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Mom denied for Discover...seeking advice

This is the weirdest situation ever. My mom got a preapproval offer in the mail for Discover at 9.99% standard APR with 15 month 0% promo APR. When she applied online, she was instantly denied. My mom has excellent credit in the mid 700s and over 20 years of credit history. She wanted to wait for the denial letter which we did. They pulled an EQ report according to the denial letter. The letter stated "not enough sufficient information to provide approval at this time." Here's where it gets weird.

Apparently my mom no longer has an EQ fico score. She's gone. She only has a EX and TU fico score. Her score has just disappeared from EQ system. I have no idea how to dispute this or how to even go about disputing it. How can you no longer have a credit score?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Mom denied for Discover...seeking advice

Call underwrite nd see what's up.....it's better talk to real person other than computer denied 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

My mom did. She called Discover and they said they wouldn't be able to approve the card (yet they'd sent her a preapproval offer) and would not pull an additional credit report b/c they seemed to be concerned with identity theft. The rep said she's never known anyone not to have 3 FICO scores. She suggested to call up EQ and figure out why my mom no longer has a credit file with them.

Message 3 of 10
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Your mom should first check to see if she can even pull up her credit file with EQ. You can do this from the Dispute page on EQ's website (You don't actually have to dispute anything, but this is a good way to check if the file is intact or not.) If you can't get anything to come up, then it's probably a split file.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 10
YahComb
Established Contributor

thats strange. ive heard of split files, but usually that means some tradelines end up one one report and other tradelines on a different report, not a completely blank one. Maybe a thin file could cause the split to produce one blank file?

I've also heard of(and experienced) not being able to pull your own EQ report-even after correctly answering validation questions-because of missing information (social security # for me and some others). But creditors were still able to pull my file and generate a score even when i could not.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 5 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

My mom just recently got the Chase Slate for a balance transfer. Your mom should look into that as well if she is wanting a low intro APR. Otherwise for ongoing APRs credit unions will usually be the best.

Why Discover?

I'd call up the CB and see what's up.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

My DH and I belong to DCU and since he's the member he gets a free FICO each month.  Friday, when I logged on there was a message saying they were unable to provide a score. I called and they said that EQ returned with invalid, missing information.  The rep asked if we had changed anything on his credit file that did not match them or did he possibly pay off his creditors.  The answer to both questions was - NO.  

He had pulled his EQ report in Sept and DCU had  never had a problem obtaining a score before.  He's definitely contacting EQ today...this is too odd!

Message 7 of 10
snake1212
Established Member

Has your mother had any recent activity on her credit reports?  The reason I ask is if you have no activity reported for 6 months your score becomes a 0 no matter how much credit you had in the past.

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP, Amex PRG, USAA Platinum Cash Reward, DCU Platinum, Barclay Apple
Message 8 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

My DH and I belong to DCU and since he's the member he gets a free FICO each month.  Friday, when I logged on there was a message saying they were unable to provide a score. I called and they said that EQ returned with invalid, missing information.  The rep asked if we had changed anything on his credit file that did not match them or did he possibly pay off his creditors.  The answer to both questions was - NO.  

He had pulled his EQ report in Sept and DCU had  never had a problem obtaining a score before.  He's definitely contacting EQ today...this is too odd!

Will be doing the same. It's been an ongoing issue with my mom and EQ. She used to have 3 FICOs but when she began mortgage process with BofA, all of a sudden no EQ score was reporting. She has absolutely no file with this company.

@snake1212 wrote:

Has your mother had any recent activity on her credit reports?  The reason I ask is if you have no activity reported for 6 months your score becomes a 0 no matter how much credit you had in the past.

My mom and I have two joint credit accounts. She has her own credit card and she's an AU on two of mine. She didn't activiely use her credit cards prior so her accounts have been closed by credit grantor for some time but they are still reporting. She currently has a mortgage but her FICO scores are in the mid 700s.

Message 9 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

split file, have you been using the backdoor disputes for any accounts recently, or been actively trying to B* bump?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.