cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mom had AMEX Optima Platinum since 95 and clueless about points.

tag
Kendro
Contributor

Mom had AMEX Optima Platinum since 95 and clueless about points.

My mom is old school in that she only uses a credit card for purchases and not cashback.  She has an AMEX Optima Platinum which apparently is the first revolver from AMEX that also offered Membership Rewards points (like an AMEX Gold).  I guess they discontinued this card because they figured why give valuable MR points for a no fee revolver.

Anyway she had the card since 1995 and I'm interested in seeing how many points she has.  I took a look at her statement and it doesn't mention anything about points.  I have to assume that AMEX has been giving her points automatically into the account even though she never spent them?

She doesn't use the card often but I figure after almost 20 years of owning it, she must have a decent amount of points accrued.  It would be great to send her and my dad on a free trip somewhere just by using points she accumulated over the past 2 decades.

I can't set up an account online with her card (I'm guessing because the card is discontinued).  Is there any way to find out without calling AMEX?  She still doesn't wanna be bothered with having to go on the phone and calling them.  So old school but I'd like to find out for her.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: Mom had AMEX Optima Platinum since 95 and clueless about points.

@Kendro wrote:

My mom is old school in that she only uses a credit card for purchases and not cashback.  She has an AMEX Optima Platinum which apparently is the first revolver from AMEX that also offered Membership Rewards points (like an AMEX Gold).  I guess they discontinued this card because they figured why give valuable MR points for a no fee revolver.

Anyway she had the card since 1995 and I'm interested in seeing how many points she has.  I took a look at her statement and it doesn't mention anything about points.  I have to assume that AMEX has been giving her points automatically into the account even though she never spent them?

She doesn't use the card often but I figure after almost 20 years of owning it, she must have a decent amount of points accrued.  It would be great to send her and my dad on a free trip somewhere just by using points she accumulated over the past 2 decades.

I can't set up an account online with her card (I'm guessing because the card is discontinued).  Is there any way to find out without calling AMEX?  She still doesn't wanna be bothered with having to go on the phone and calling them.  So old school but I'd like to find out for her.

She should be able to set up an online account no matter the age of the card. As long as it's in good standing, there should  be no problem. Otherwise, she may have to call AMEX. Would she have had to opt-in for the MR program? If so, did she?

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 11
Kendro
Contributor

That's actually what I'm wondering, if she had to opt in.  But then again, you don't opt in for cashback with BCE or points with Gold, they are automatic no?

Message 3 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

While you are automatically enrolled in MR when applying for an MR earning card now, I'm not sure that it has always been automatic. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

While you are automatically enrolled in MR when applying for an MR earning card now, I'm not sure that it has always been automatic

Exactly my thought.

Edited to add: I vaguely remember when I had my Green card, I had to opt-in to MR (and there was a separate program fee). I know that for Gold and Plat it is now automatic, but was it always??

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 5 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I can't wait to find out how many points your mom has, please let us know when you find out... this could be EPIC! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I can't wait to find out how many points your mom has, please let us know when you find out... this could be EPIC! 

Given OP's statement that she doesn't use the card very often, I bet it's going to be an underwhelming amount.  Probably less than they could get by taking advantage of a few good sign up bonuses.  Of course, if OP's parents are anything like mine, good luck trying to convince them they should sign up for additional cards to take advantage of sign up bonuses.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
manyquestions
Established Contributor

She should be able to set it up online. I'm also not sure if that card earned points without paying extra.  I had one of those and I think you had to pay like $30 or someting to join the MR program but I might be mistaken.  So she may or may not have any points.  .Also, if she hardly uses the card, like say only 1k to 2k a year, then that would be less than 25k total points which is less than a signup bonus now.  So probably nothing to get excited about. 

Edited to add: I looked the card  up on the amex website. It says the MR program is free but you need to enroll. Ask  your mom if she ever signed up.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/npz.do?pmccode=129#CARDS/129/0/0/-1

or is this the one she has

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/npz.do?pmccode=133#CARDS/133/0/0/-1

Looks like you have to enroll in the MR program for that one too.

Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Rewards expire!

Although you can't apply for the Optima Card anymore, they didn't do what many banks do and move the program to something and send out new cards and force you to do that move too... Amex left it alone and still send out renewals with same card.

Message 9 of 11
bakerzduzin

I have a Optima Platinum Card and I had to enroll in my rewards when I originally go the card. The card is awesome and I hope they never make me switch away from it. It's got the best MR program for a no annual fee card that I've seen and it's an AMEX card. Interest rate is great to at 9.9% fixed APR. I'm sure they'll wise up and make us all change to something eventually. They haven't been giving out the card for years now and I'm sooooo happy to have gotten one when I did back in the day!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.