Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mom paid off her cards. What next?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Mom paid off her cards. What next?

Thank you Kevin! I agree an account just for paying her cards will be helpful. She's just been wanting her own Macy's card since I closed mine. She is good with using discounts on store cards and paying it right off
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 11 of 13
lololol

I went through this with my mom over the last couple years. Spent a good amount of time boosting her as an AU, apping to the right cards making sure she utilized correctly. Got her up to 720+ she went and took out every CC possible slowly over the last year. I ended up just paying off the 10k balance she was carrying and cutting the cards up. Learned a valuable lesson. Artificially inflating people's credit score by managing the accounts for them and adding as AU is not a good idea. Its like giving a 4 year old a machine gun. They dont know how to handle it and get themselves into a lot of trouble. I'm lucky I caught it early.

Message 12 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

It sounds like she's made some progress but still has a ways to go before she's consistently exercising good financial habits. To be honest at this point I don't think access to more credit is in her best interest. I think she should use and manage the $300 Cap 1 cards for a good bit longer, get the hang of consistently not missing payments or maxing them out, then if she wants/needs to maybe apply for something else, but not right away. I'd say give it 12-18 months to let good financial habits sink in with these lower limit cards.

I also agree that building up a cash reserve is crucial for her.

I'd personally suggest trying to get her to establish a really fixed system of managing and paying her cards on time, with plenty of wiggle room and fail safes built into it. Maybe fixed days to make payments that are weeks ahead of her due dates, daily logins to track balances, perhaps a special checking account earmarked only for paying credit card bills with at least the full credit limit in reserve that she pays back as soon as she makes a payment, that type of thing.

Short answer though, now that she's paid off her cards I think what's next should be keeping them paid off and using them responsibly for a good long time before going any further.

Anyway best of luck!

Right.  Plus, what others have mentioned upthread.

For now: build cash reserves/savings and adopt some realistic budgeting.  This includes re-establishing a positive history with the current cards under her name (especially those that she's been late in the past).  Regardless if she's paying finance charges and AF on one of your cards, you're still the responsible party if things go south.

As far as Capital One goes, if those late payments are recent (i.e. less than 6 months ago) it can take anywhere from 6-12 months before she can be eligible for a CLI.  Honestly, I don't see Macy's happening at this point in time. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.