Did you mean: 

Monthly statements on unused CC

tag
newtocredit
Established Member

Monthly statements on unused CC

hi guys,

i have about 7 CC.  3 active.

just wondering should i be checking the statements on the ones i don't use?   Its kind of hassle logging into them each month. (i dont get paper)   My only worry if there was some fraudlent activity on it?

or should i just turn paper statements on, so it forces me to review them?

just wondering what you the vets here do.

thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Monthly statements on unused CC

@newtocredit wrote:

hi guys,

i have about 7 CC.  3 active.

just wondering should i be checking the statements on the ones i don't use?   Its kind of hassle logging into them each month. (i dont get paper)   My only worry if there was some fraudlent activity on it?

or should i just turn paper statements on, so it forces me to review them?

just wondering what you the vets here do.

thanks

If you don't use them at all I would log in and set up an alert to e-mail or text you if you have a purchase greater then $1.  Or an alert that a payment is due... however with "Payment is due" alert depending on how good the online system they use is, I get alerts regardless if I have paid already or if no payment due at all which to me defeats the purpose of the alert!

Message 2 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

For me it's no big deal just to log in to idle accounts once a month right before the statement date.   I just set a calendar alert to remind me to check it.

Honestly I don't think there's an easier way to check, maybe other than calling in or setting an alert as Creditaddict described.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 11
Quips
Regular Contributor

I don't use all of mine - but i do have alerts set for all of them - usually payment due reminders or statement available reminders.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 4 of 11
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Since you have paperless statements turned on, you should be getting an email reminder anyway.

It only takes a few minutes, really.

Another way that can "force" you to check them is to maybe put a small recurring charge on each one per month...like say a Netflix subscription. At least then there would be at least a little bit of activity...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 11
newtocredit
Established Member

2 of them are these Department store charge cards

American Eagle and JCPenny

I dont even use them.

... i am just worried if i cancel them it will screw up my fico score.

Message 6 of 11
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@newtocredit wrote:

2 of them are these Department store charge cards

American Eagle and JCPenny

I dont even use them.

... i am just worried if i cancel them it will screw up my fico score.

Oh, I see. GE doesn't regularly close cards for inactivity but you should make it a point to charge something to it every once in awhile just to be on the safe side.

If you're really that worried and can't be bothered to log in once a month to check stuff, you can always go back to paper statements. GE will automatically send you paper statements if you don't check your online statements for 3 months or more, anyway.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

I use Page Once and Mint and a spreadsheet to check mine although I do not think the sites are compatible with all cards

Message 8 of 11
newtocredit
Established Member

mint hasn't been working that well for me lately.. issues syncing. 

with BofA

and with GE!

i think i will shift back to paper.

Message 9 of 11
2NE1
Established Contributor

I used to have a JCPenney card opened in '07 and never used it, GE closed it in '09. So I think they give you a reasonable time to use it in order to keep it active, I think a two year frame wasn't bad, it would've been nice to get a letter from them though letting me know it was gonna get closed. I simply forgot I had this card.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.