cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly update by a creditor to my Experian file delayed

tag
Maxmyscore

Monthly update by a creditor to my Experian file delayed

Hi all, I am hoping to get some advice on getting this issue of a delayed update escalated and resolved.

My file has not been updated on the usual monthly date by a creditor, and it is now almost 10 days "late"

I have been assured by the creditor that they have submitted to Experian, and Experian claims they have not received it, in a typical back and forth that usually happens in these situations. This is an important update and could potentially add 30+ points to my Experian score due to paying down the bal of the card and decreasing my util from 48% to 3% overall.

So here's my question..how can i determine where the delay resides, and what can I do to get whoever is responsible for holding it, to forward or release the update so that it posts to my file?

Thanks in advance for any advice that could help to resolve this issue

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Re: Monthly update by a creditor to my Experian file delayed

In short, there is nothing you can do. Especially if it is less than a month. There are some cards like CapOne that for some were delayed in reporting for 90 days.

Good luck and hopefully it will report soon.
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA intentionally does not set a specific period in days for which updated reporting must be done.  It specifies only that information must be "promptly" updated when necessary to reflect its currrent accuracy.  FCRA 623(a)(2).

When a statute is broad, its interpretation is evaluated under the "reasonableness" standard.

"Prompt" would reasonably be interpreted as in the next regular business reporting cycle after the change comes to the attention of the party responsible for reporting to the CRAs.  That could reasonably be up to 30-45 days after the change actually occurs.

Once changed information becomes at least two business reporting cycles in age, it should clearly have been updated.

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If the need for the quick update is a mortgage process, you can talk to your lender for a rapid rescore, but realistically payoffs do get missed sometimes (has happened to me, strangely only when paying to $0 in my case from a prior balance) and there isn't much that can be done as someone accuratedly stated above a dispute is only going get solved with the next report.

In general if it updated with the other bureaus you can reasonably assume the lender did it's job in trying to report, but the connection to Experian may have failed or maybe Experian dropped it somewhere.  Sometimes things go wrong even with highly scrutenized and tested API's used for reporting.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.