cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

tag
newstar87
Established Member

More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

So I apped for two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card. My app for CSP was approved with $5000. The second card was turned down due to app 2 cards (Yes, this was what I heard from rep). I was told that I can convert CSP to Explorer if I want!

With CSP, required to spend $3000 to get 40,000 BONUS POINTS & add 1 AU to get additional 5000 points!

With EXPLORER, required to spend $1000 to get 30,000 bonus points on United Airlines.

Which card should I get??

CSP has two versions: World Mastercard & Visa Signature. Which one is better in terms of car rental insurance, return protection, concierge?

Thank you

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

@newstar87 wrote:

So I apped for two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card. My app for CSP was approved with $5000. The second card was turned down due to app 2 cards (Yes, this was what I heard from rep). I was told that I can convert CSP to Explorer if I want!

With CSP, required to spend $3000 to get 40,000 BONUS POINTS & add 1 AU to get additional 5000 points!

With EXPLORER, required to spend $1000 to get 30,000 bonus points on United Airlines.

Which card should I get??

CSP has two versions: World Mastercard & Visa Signature. Which one is better in terms of car rental insurance, return protection, concierge?

Thank you

So you were approved the CSP for $5k but they are willing to PC you now if you wish for a lesser spend?

Have you called backdoor and recon 2nd app for approval? some have reported calling 3 or 4 times to get different shifts and reps for recon... MANY many have had no issue after recon getting 2 and 3 apps approve in a row if credit warrants.... so it's not a flat denial policy because you have 2 apps.

Message 2 of 13
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

Do not convert the CSP to a MileagePlus Explorer. Keep the CSP, get the sign-up bonus, enjoy it. 3-6 months later, apply for the MP Explorer card and get another sign-up bonus (hopefully the 50k+5k+10k one instead of the 30k+5k+10k offer).

Also, you confused some of the bonus terms. CSP is a 40k bonus. The Explorer is a 30k bonus + 5k for AU +10k after spending $25k in a year (there's also a 50k + 5k AU + 10k offer you should look into).

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 13
bribro
Valued Contributor

And yes, try recon again if you want both cards right now.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Keep the CSP 

Recon United 

If recon doesn't workout use the CSP for 6 months and app united again for another signup bonus

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 13
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Wait I'm confused, you got an additional 5k points for adding an AU on CSP?
Message 6 of 13
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Kozmo wrote:
Wait I'm confused, you got an additional 5k points for adding an AU on CSP?

No, OP was mistaken. You get 5k points for adding an AU on the MP Explorer.

Message 7 of 13
newstar87
Established Member

CSP Visa Signature or World Mastercard??? 

Message 8 of 13
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@bribro wrote:

Do not convert the CSP to a MileagePlus Explorer. Keep the CSP, get the sign-up bonus, enjoy it. 3-6 months later, apply for the MP Explorer card and get another sign-up bonus (hopefully the 50k+5k+10k one instead of the 30k+5k+10k offer).

Also, you confused some of the bonus terms. CSP is a 40k bonus. The Explorer is a 30k bonus + 5k for AU +10k after spending $25k in a year (there's also a 50k + 5k AU + 10k offer you should look into).

The 50k bonus offer you're referring to, that's the one available only via applying in-branch, correct?

Message 9 of 13
newstar87
Established Member

bump!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.