Reply
Established Member
newstar87
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

So I apped for two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card. My app for CSP was approved with $5000. The second card was turned down due to app 2 cards (Yes, this was what I heard from rep). I was told that I can convert CSP to Explorer if I want!

With CSP, required to spend $3000 to get 40,000 BONUS POINTS & add 1 AU to get additional 5000 points!

With EXPLORER, required to spend $1000 to get 30,000 bonus points on United Airlines.

Which card should I get??

CSP has two versions: World Mastercard & Visa Signature. Which one is better in terms of car rental insurance, return protection, concierge?

Thank you

Mega Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 18,566
Registered: ‎10-23-2007

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????


newstar87 wrote:

So I apped for two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card. My app for CSP was approved with $5000. The second card was turned down due to app 2 cards (Yes, this was what I heard from rep). I was told that I can convert CSP to Explorer if I want!

With CSP, required to spend $3000 to get 40,000 BONUS POINTS & add 1 AU to get additional 5000 points!

With EXPLORER, required to spend $1000 to get 30,000 bonus points on United Airlines.

Which card should I get??

CSP has two versions: World Mastercard & Visa Signature. Which one is better in terms of car rental insurance, return protection, concierge?

Thank you


So you were approved the CSP for $5k but they are willing to PC you now if you wish for a lesser spend?

Have you called backdoor and recon 2nd app for approval? some have reported calling 3 or 4 times to get different shifts and reps for recon... MANY many have had no issue after recon getting 2 and 3 apps approve in a row if credit warrants.... so it's not a flat denial policy because you have 2 apps.

Fico Scores: EQ 639 Navy, TU 667 GE, EX 677 Prosper (06-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Fidelity Amex $25k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Buckle $250
Over 30 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
bribro
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

Do not convert the CSP to a MileagePlus Explorer. Keep the CSP, get the sign-up bonus, enjoy it. 3-6 months later, apply for the MP Explorer card and get another sign-up bonus (hopefully the 50k+5k+10k one instead of the 30k+5k+10k offer).

 

Also, you confused some of the bonus terms. CSP is a 40k bonus. The Explorer is a 30k bonus + 5k for AU +10k after spending $25k in a year (there's also a 50k + 5k AU + 10k offer you should look into).

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Valued Contributor
bribro
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

And yes, try recon again if you want both cards right now.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 25,170
Registered: ‎02-07-2013

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

Keep the CSP 

Recon United 

If recon doesn't workout use the CSP for 6 months and app united again for another signup bonus

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
I will be gardening until a better offer/bonus comes along
Last escape 06/06/13 Bronze 7/6/2013 Silver 9/6/2013 Gold 12/6/2013 Palladium 3/6/14 made it...6/6/14 Plat is all mine
Frequent Contributor
Kozmo
Posts: 318
Registered: ‎07-08-2012

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

Wait I'm confused, you got an additional 5k points for adding an AU on CSP?
Valued Contributor
bribro
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????


Kozmo wrote:
Wait I'm confused, you got an additional 5k points for adding an AU on CSP?

No, OP was mistaken. You get 5k points for adding an AU on the MP Explorer.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Established Member
newstar87
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

CSP Visa Signature or World Mastercard??? 

Regular Contributor
ternify-
Posts: 185
Registered: ‎10-11-2012

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????


bribro wrote:

Do not convert the CSP to a MileagePlus Explorer. Keep the CSP, get the sign-up bonus, enjoy it. 3-6 months later, apply for the MP Explorer card and get another sign-up bonus (hopefully the 50k+5k+10k one instead of the 30k+5k+10k offer).

 

Also, you confused some of the bonus terms. CSP is a 40k bonus. The Explorer is a 30k bonus + 5k for AU +10k after spending $25k in a year (there's also a 50k + 5k AU + 10k offer you should look into).


The 50k bonus offer you're referring to, that's the one available only via applying in-branch, correct?

Chase Sapphire Preferred / Chase United MileagePlus Explorer / Chase Freedom / AMEX PRG / AMEX SPG / AMEX BCE / Discover IT / Barclaycard Financing / BofA Cash Rewards for Students / CITI Classic
Established Member
newstar87
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

Re: More $5000 Chase Sapphire Preferred or United MileagePlus® Explorer Card?????

bump!


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+