Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More on Citi Premier

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

More on Citi Premier

From Flyertalk, draft of letter going out next week: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1485116-changes-citi-thankyou-premier-cards-7-28... (message 180)

Dear XXXXXX,

On October 20, 2013, your Citi ThankYou® Premier Card benefits will be changing. You’ll find that some of your existing benefits will no longer be offered, but will be replaced with new benefits so you can continue to enjoy a rewarding cardmember experience. Please see below to learn more.

WHAT’S GOING AWAY

The following benefits are only available through October 19, 2013, and will be discontinued after that:

• Earn Flight Points on airline tickets purchased with your card through October 19, 2013. All Flight Points will be eligible to transfer to your ThankYou® Member Account based on the matching of ThankYou® Points earned from purchases.

• Points are worth 33% more when they are redeemed for airfare through October 19, 2013, at the Citi ThankYou® Travel Center.

• Earn 1.2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent through October 19, 2013, on purchases at gas stations, supermarkets, drugstores and parking merchants, and for commuter transportation.

• Enroll in Account Online and Paperless Statements through October 19, 2013, to earn up to 400 bonus ThankYou Points.

The following benefits will be discontinued on your next cardmember anniversary date after October 20, 2013:

• Anniversary Bonus earned on points from purchases.
Annual companion ticket for travel in the contiguous U.S. and 15% savings on airfare. You must book your flights by your next anniversary date after October 20, 2013. Authorized users added to your account through October 19, 2013, must book their flights by their next anniversary date after October 20, 2013. For terms and conditions, please see your Directory of Services that you received with your card.

WHAT’S COMING SOON

As of October 20, 2013, you’ll enjoy earning ThankYou Points per $1 spent on purchases faster:
• 3X on Dining and Entertainment
• 2X on Airfare and Hotels
• 1X on Other Purchases
For terms and conditions, please see the reverse of this letter.

Plus, take advantage of:
• 25% more value for your points when they are redeemed for airfare through the Citi ThankYou Travel Center. For example, 30,000 ThankYou Points can be redeemed for $375 in airfare, which would usually require 37,500 ThankYou Points.
• No authorized user fees when you add others to your account.
• Exclusive events, like comedy shows, live musical performances and more, scheduled just for Citi ThankYou cardmembers.

Continue to enjoy:
• No foreign transaction fees on purchases when you travel internationally.
• Concierge Service for help with recommendations and reservations.

We hope you share our excitement about the great new benefits of your Citi ThankYou Premier Card. Changes go into effect automatically on October 20, 2013, and your account number and APRs remain the same. Remember to take advantage of the existing benefits on your card before they go away. Our goal is to make sure you’re happy with your new Citi ThankYou Premier Card, so if you have any questions or concerns, please call us at XXXXXXXX. We would be glad to help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Re: More on Citi Premier

I wonder if there is any word on a reduced AF.  I can't see how Citi could possibly think the 'enhanced' benefits are comparable to the previous Premier benefits.  Either way, there's next to a 0% chance I hold onto this card.  All of the positive benefits are going away.  Not sure what Citi is thinking as this continues to make their ThankYou card network weaker in comparison to Amex and Chase.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As they say: "We hope you share our excitement about the great new benefits of your Citi ThankYou Premier Card."   Um, no!

People earlier had evidence suggesting the AF would be around $50, which is still way too much, unless you have a bunch of TYP you want to use for travel and need the (new, lower) 1.25 multiplier.  And even then you just do it for one year.

Message 3 of 7
mxp114
Valued Contributor

The changes are ok, gonna miss flight points but hopeful that new transfer partners are introduced that will make the card more exciting. I'll keep my TY points banked thru 2014 then will just redeem and possibly downgrade to Preferred. Not sure yet.

Message 4 of 7
rkinnahan
New Contributor

I'm trying to figure out what I want to PC to.  I don't think I'd ever use the TY Preferred unless it was the 5x points they offered a few months ago.  Any suggestions of what a good Citi card to PC to would be?  I don't think the Premier is worth any AF.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

The changes are ok, gonna miss flight points but hopeful that new transfer partners are introduced that will make the card more exciting. I'll keep my TY points banked thru 2014 then will just redeem and possibly downgrade to Preferred. Not sure yet.

Well, I used my mainly for the 15% discount and the 1.33 multiplier, so the changes are not ok for me.  Forward for now is 5x, so 3x on this is of no value.   Yes, if additional transfer partners come, that's different, but if that was near I assume they would announce at the same time as this letter.

Message 6 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they do introduce some transfer partners, otherwise this card is definitely not worth the $125 AF.

Hopefully we'll find out about changes to the prestige soon as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.