cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Conditions Require Cards To Be Closed, But Util Will Go Up!

tag
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

Mortgage Conditions Require Cards To Be Closed, But Util Will Go Up!

Hi there - we finally got our committment letter for a mortgage yesterday, but there is a hefty list of conditions attached.

One of them was to pay down *and close* some low balance cards.  I have paid them all off - came to $1200 total.  But closing them will remove about $18,000 in available credit, bring util percentage up, and bring AAoA forward.

Does this make sense?  Have you heard of cards having to be closed before?

I'm worried it'll drop our scores right before closing.

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Mortgage Conditions Require Cards To Be Closed, But Util Will Go Up!

@Boldilocks wrote:

Hi there - we finally got our committment letter for a mortgage yesterday, but there is a hefty list of conditions attached.

One of them was to pay down *and close* some low balance cards.  I have paid them all off - came to $1200 total.  But closing them will remove about $18,000 in available credit, bring util percentage up, and bring AAoA forward.

Does this make sense?  Have you heard of cards having to be closed before?

I'm worried it'll drop our scores right before closing.

This certainly happens with some lenders.   Note that closing does NOT impact AAoA (as closed accounts are counted for about 10 years).  But if you have outstanding balances on other cards, the drop in total CL will, as you say, have an impact.   So, if at all possible (and might not be if you are saving for closing) try to pay down those balances in proportion to the reduction in total CL

Message 2 of 17
bribro
Valued Contributor

Some mortgage lenders will certainly do this. When your lender pulled your credit did you have large credit card balances? It's a longshot, but if that's the case you can ask if they pull your credit again and see the balances have been paid off if they can remove the condition.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Remember, you always have the option to find another lender...

I honestly don't know what I would do in your shoes, but just keep your options open and don't rush into anything.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I'd shop other lenders.  You already have your paperwork together.  I'd find a couple other local places with good reps and have then run the numbers and drop off your paperwork.   SInce you already have everything together you should have word in a week so if they are running right. 

Message 5 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It does happen if the dti will exceed the UW guidelines. The concern is if OP charges his CLI's up and can no longer pay the mtg. You can either shop for a different loan, lender or see if the UW is willing to waive that condition.

Message 6 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Lexie, maybe I misunderstand you here, but available credit has no bearing on DTI, just payments due. If the OP has paid down all balances to $0 (and left them there), then having the open lines shouldn't impact approval.

HOWEVER, if its the case that the lender needs to pull a new report to see the $0 balance and thus adjust the DTI calculation, then that might avoid the OP closing accounts. This is probably what you are referring to...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 7 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Snack, it's the possibility of using his total lines and since they are open and revolving UWs will and can use those figures. Lets assume OP has a high car pyt but he has less than 6 mos before its paid off. The installment loan will not hurt him because the terms are fixed and will be closed shortly.

Makes sense?
Message 8 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Let me add, that condition is something can be over written assuming there are no other compensating factors
Message 9 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I agree there. Open lines are always a risk. However, there are two things about this situation that lead me to believe OP might find a better deal elsewhere, or even a better deal at the current lender if they pulled a new credit report.

1. DTI, the calculation itself, only takes into account the payments required in a given month. A $500 CC balance still only has a minimum payment, so unless the lender is stressing the borrower's capacity by modeling a fully extended line, the OP's DTI would go down once those balances hit $0.

2.My experience with mortgage lenders tells me that they want to qualify as many borrowers as possible, and therefore it is a rare find to get a lender who goes above and beyond the standard DTI calculations to qualify a borrower. Almost everyone applying for a mortgage has a credit card, and it would be silly to reduce potential customers by modeling fully extended revolving credit lines if your competitors are not doing that.

These both point me in the direction that this condition is separate from DTI, and is an extraneous attempt to reduce the risk of this borrower getting into CC debt. The lender can't stop the borrower from just reopening the lines after closing, so it is pointless to make them close the accounts before closing.

I would ask for this condition to be waived if it was me, but OP needs to weigh their options carefully if the lender fails to waive the condition. Unless of course these TLs don't mean anything to you in the long run...

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.