cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Conditions Require Cards To Be Closed, But Util Will Go Up!

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage Conditions Require Cards To Be Closed, But Util Will Go Up!

I agree with you that OP should ask for the condition to be waived or go elsewhere. I'm curious to know if this conditional approval
was manually reviewed or automated. It has been 100 years since I was an UW and there are factors that might not allow this condition to be waived on conventional loans. If this conditions is based on a disqualification after manual review then OPs choices are limited for conventional loans. OP should still try ESP if his credit history does not show a propensity of high usage on his CL's, seasoned accounts (24 mos) and stable income.

if OP just paid off a large chunk of debt to qualify, less than 24 mos of credit history, assets and stable income- it's harder to override a decision.

This is from FannieMae's UW Manual:

Underwriting Borrowers
Chapter 6, Liability Assessment
Payoff or Paydown of Debt for Qualification

Payoff or paydown of debt solely to qualify must be carefully evaluated and considered in the overall loan analysis. The borrower’s history of credit use should be a factor in determining whether the appropriate approach is to include or exclude debt for qualification. Generally
• Installment loans that are being paid off or paid down to 10 or fewer remaining monthly payments do not need to be included in the borrower’s long-term debt.
• If a revolving account is to be paid off and closed, a monthly payment on the current outstanding balance does not need to be included in the borrower's long-term debt, i.e., not included in the debt-to-income ratio.
• If a revolving debt is to be paid off but not closed, a monthly payment on the current outstanding balance should be considered as long-term debt.
Message 11 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Do they recommend closing CC accts. because they are afraid that you might not be able to make the monthly payments?

EDIT: typo

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 12 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It sounds like that with the minimum pyt on ccs OP would not qualify for the loan.
Message 13 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Great pickup from the FNMA Uw manual, Lexie. If this indeed becomes a DTI issue on the borrower's CC payment, further pay down of CC balances will bring the monthly payments down and bring the OP closer to the approval criteria the lender is using, but the existence of the tradeline using the industry standards quote above fails to correct the issue.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 14 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Without knowing OPs front/back end - its hard to say if going elsewhere will change the condition. If OP is close to 45% with the mtg pyt, I can't see them changing their mind.

Message 15 of 17
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

Hi all - thank for your input!

Checked with the loan processor and she said we definitely had to close the cards as well as pay them off, so I did that today.  Now the PITA is getting letters from them saying they are closed, talk about trying to herd cats.

We're getting a USDA Guaranteed loan and are under a number of different time crunches (need to be out of rental mid-Sept, house we're buying will no longer be in usda eligible area Oct 1st, due to coming pay raises we will no longer be eligible for this loan if we wait too much longer) we just want to get on with the home purchase. We've been househunting for 4+ years and this is the first one my husband has actually liked!

We came through bank UW fine, our ratios were well within USDA guidelines.  The loan processor said that USDA won't look at our numbers again before closing - they just pull the report to make sure there are no new negatives and no new credit. 

It's going to hit our scores, but as the point of getting the scores up was to buy a home, we'll just be able to sit back and let them build up again after. 

My main fear was that it woud lower our scores and make us ineligible for the loan, or change the interest rate - but they said that won't happen.

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 16 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

What will be your util after your closed accounts hit your CR's?
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.