cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most Effective Response for "Why do you want a CLI"?

tag
burberryboy007
Valued Member

Most Effective Response for "Why do you want a CLI"?

What reasons do you guys find to be the most effective for successful CLIs?

Promise of Balance Transfer? Upcoming expenses above current CL? PIF monthly? Something else?

(If possible, can you include the credit issuer that this experience was with please) Thanks!

American Express Gold Card NPSL | NEFCU Platinum Visa 7.5k | Amazon Store Card 6.5k | Discover More 5.5k | American Express Delta Gold Skymiles 3k | Barclaycard Arrival+ 1.5k |
Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 745
Goal Score: 800

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Most Effective Response for "Why do you want a CLI"?

@burberryboy007 wrote:

What reasons do you guys find to be the most effective for successful CLIs?

Promise of Balance Transfer? Upcoming expenses above current CL? PIF monthly? Something else?

(If possible, can you include the credit issuer that this experience was with please) Thanks!

I use going on Vacation.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 25
YahComb
Established Contributor

i used moving expenses a few times.

to be fair, i thought i was going to actually move back then.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 3 of 25
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

because your the only lender who I have my lowest CL, so if increased it will no longer be in my sock drawer but in my wallet BAM!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 25
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

I have always said for utilization purposes. Don't know if that has ever impacted a CLI decision, but I have never been denied an increase.

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 5 of 25
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

I tell them I need it because it'll make me feel good as a man lol

Just kidding.  I also use the "Vacation" one or "planning on doing a large purchase very soon" and that I'm trying to maximize the rewards that the CC offers to the fullest.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 6 of 25
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Utilization purposes works great if you do use the card heavily and near your line often.

When they check and see payments/useage they'll agree you need more. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 25
Trivolve
Contributor

If you have a card with a larger CL, "because I'll have to move my large purchase (above current CL) to my other card with a CL of $xxxx otherwise, but i love your *rewards/cashback/bank"

[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 8 of 25
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Only been asked this twice; First by Chase (United Explorer) and told them travel, second by Discover and told them balance transfer which I backed out of due to HP. Both explanations were truthful.

Amex, BoA, Citi, Comenity, GE never ask for a reason Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 25
Networth
Frequent Contributor

You could always just tell them your credit report and income you feel warrent an increase.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.