cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most expensive credit card purchases?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Most expensive credit card purchases?

@SGR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SGR wrote:

$14k for a car rental which was an out-of-state charge (19k if you include deposit). It was with my Diners card and I had no issues whatsoever but I called ahead.

$14K for a car rental?  What in the world costs that much to rent?

Bugatti Veyron.

Believe it or not the Veyron can be rented but its $20k a day and comes with only 100 miles, lol.

At that rate i'd just as soon not. At least if it had unlimited miles I could try a top speed run (I don't suppose they give you the top speed key, either.)

Message 41 of 87
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Check out a company called World Class Driving. They do a lot with exotics. Based in Vegas now. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 42 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SGR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SGR wrote:

$14k for a car rental which was an out-of-state charge (19k if you include deposit). It was with my Diners card and I had no issues whatsoever but I called ahead.

$14K for a car rental?  What in the world costs that much to rent?

A Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 and a Maserati Ghibli for a week during a vacation in Miami. I have a weakness for fast cars. Smiley Embarassed

Very nice.  Were the cars worth it?

Message 43 of 87
SGR
Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Check out a company called World Class Driving. They do a lot with exotics. Based in Vegas now. 

I'll have to check them out if I ever go to Vegas. I went with Prestige Luxury Rentals and they were very professional and have a solid reputation.

The exotic car rental business is very sketchy in Miami -- not sure if its the same in Vegas. There are a lot of "great deals" that end up being scams. Basically, a lot of companies don't have licenses or insurance and just act as middle men for rich people looking to make extra money by renting out their exotics to tourists. Often times the renter will get billed thousands for fraudulent damage later on, too. Even worse, there are even some companies who will rent out an exotic until it gets high mileage and then rent it to a friend who "accidently" wrecks it in order to cash in on the insurance.

Message 44 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SGR wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I'll have to check them out if I ever go to Vegas. I went with Prestige Luxury Rentals and they were very professional and have a solid reputation.

The exotic car rental business is very sketchy in Miami -- not sure if its the same in Vegas. There are a lot of "great deals" that end up being scams. Basically, a lot of companies don't have licenses or insurance and just act as middle men for rich people looking to make extra money by renting out their exotics to tourists. Often times the renter will get billed thousands for fraudulent damage later on, too. Even worse, there are even some companies who will rent out an exotic until it gets high mileage and then rent it to a friend who "accidently" wrecks it in order to cash in on the insurance.

Bad drivers, Lol.

Message 45 of 87
SGR
Contributor

@Irish80

The Lambo was definitely worth it. The V12 sound never got old, especially when I would downshift and it'd bark at me like it wanted me to go faster. I took it up to 142MPH and the speedo wasn't even beginning to slow up (South FL has some crazy good highways). The car even seemed angry at me when I let off the throttle like, "That's it?!". If I owned the car I'd probably be in jail by now so it's probably a good thing I only rent then...lol. While the speed was insane, the biggest thing that surprised me was the brakes. Even after putting over 3k on it in a week I still never got used to how quick it'd stop.

The Ghibli was all right but it wasn't anything special. It wasn't as fast as I thought it'd be -- I had the faster Q4 S version and the speed wasn't that impressive. I personally couldn't see buying one over a BMW 5 series (same cost) and if I wanted a fast sedan I'd save up for a E63 AMG. With that said, it sounded amazing in sports mode. Ferrari apparently tuned the Ghibli V6 engine and it definitely has that Ferrari F1 sound to it. It's sort of funny -- when you open it up you feel like you're going crazy fast due to the sound of the engine and then when you look down you can't help but instantly think "that's all?"

Message 46 of 87
medo
Frequent Contributor

Nothing as fancy as what was posted above, but $4k for a downpayment on a BMW.  Wish I could return it and stick with my Audi... ugh... Audi's are sooo fine tuned with so much attention to detail.  But one thing I will say is that the BMW does move much quicker than the Audi.

Message 47 of 87
zerbherb
Established Contributor

1039 my 4k monitor for school on my amex, instantly went through with no problems at all.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 48 of 87
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

6400 on a screened in porch on my Navy Federal. I had it on my account for two months before paying it off.  My EQ score took the biggest hit,  21points.  

Message 49 of 87
UncleB
Credit Mentor

My largest personal charge ever was $2500 for a down-payment on a car (years ago, when I was less wise and more young).  It was on a Providian card, with no rewards, and while the car was really, really sweet, having to revolve my down payment on a credit card was a huge, huge (did I say huge?) mistake.  The dealership didn't charge me any extra to run the card, and it went through as quickly as if I were paying for a pizza.  Looking back it would have been a 'blessing' if the darn card had been declined... haha.

My largest charge on a business card was $2600 (+/-) at a steakhouse using my Amex Corporate card.  My boss took the whole office out to lunch for a special occasion, and if she used her card the voucher went to her boss, but if I used my card, the voucher went to her, which made things 'easier' (although she had her boss's blessing).  My card seldom got used, and hadn't been used in months, so I gave Amex a call the day before as a heads-up.  It was a good thing, as the CSR indicated that it would not have been instantly approved at the restaurant.  The rep placed me on hold for several minutes, finally coming back to ask if I would be using my card before using it at the restaurant, I said 'no', and was placed on hold again.  Finally the CSR came back and told me the charge would be approved, but that it needed to be the very next charge I made.  He explained that "the system" would approve the very next charge to my account, no matter what, but, (quote) "If you use your card for so much as a candy bar before making the restaurant charge, that will be "it" and you'll need to give us a call back".  It was odd, and the CSR made it seem like what he had done was quite a 'big deal'  He also checked with me several times to make sure my card wasn't used for recurring charges anywhere (it wasn't).  After the conversation, it was 'weird' knowing my card would be approved for "any amount" for a few hours!  (Realistically, I'm sure it wasn't really 'any amount', but it was likely a much higher amount than I would ever dream of using... haha)

Message 50 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.