cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

Message 11 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate the responses thus far.  Super helpful and informative.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 12 of 33
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I appreciate the responses thus far.  Super helpful and informative.  

FWIW - my recent experience is the pre-qual sites are not a rock solid indicator as others have stated.  I have begun receiving offers in the mail and only one was pre-selected.  I have used these mail offers as an indicator of my recent creditworthiness and have been instant approved for all 4.  By the way,  I went to each pre-qual site in advance to see if there were any loaded into the online system and none were available.

This month I have been approved for Barclays Rewards, Citi AAdvantage, Chase Freedom, and Discover IT.  All mailers and Barclays was only pre-selected.

Whoever said watch your mail box and gauge your offers and frequency to use as a leading indicator might be spot on.  Chase continues to send me offers for Slate and I have resisted as I want scores in the 700s for my next card.

Good luck!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 13 of 33
39Xelor
Established Member

A lot of offers coming in the mail recently for people are Citi and Discover "Pre-selected" offers, which are really just them saying "Hey, check this card out, we have no idea if you'll be approved but why not take the HP anyway?" ;p

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 14 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I looked at these again this morning for kicks.  Citi actually quotes an interest rate/APR on their 'prequalified offer".  That would lead one to believe you're pretty much in if you apply.  Chase and US Bank didn't on theirs.

If there's anyone out there that hasn't checked Citi's prequalified offers lately, I'd like to hear what it spits out for others just to compare.  The problem is, Citi's cards just aren't up there with others as far as rewards go based on my spending.  It seems like Barclay, Chase and Discover have some of the best things going right now.  The Huntington Voice card is not too shabby either but they charge a $3 ACH fee per payment to pay your bill from another checking account assuming you just have the card but no checking account with them.  That can and will certainly dip into the rewards if you don't bank with them.  When I had my car loan with HNB, I had to pay a $5 service fee to make a payment online.  I mean, who mails checks anymore?  lol

Thanks again to all who have replied.  You guys and gals are awesome.... 

Message 15 of 33
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Even today, all the pre-qualified sites don't offer anything for me, ALWAYS giving me the "Sorry we can't match any offer based on your profile, but..." msg.  I mean I still applied for all the cards I have and were approved (except Citi AA Executive Smiley Frustrated).  I'm not opted out for anything, but still I guess based on my given credit profile, none of the sites don't like it, even at credicards.com still matches me w/ First Premier (4 out of 7 offers) and Cap1 Secured. 

So my opinion?  Don't rely on them too much. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 16 of 33
39Xelor
Established Member

@yudeology101 wrote:

Even today, all the pre-qualified sites don't offer anything for me, ALWAYS giving me the "Sorry we can't match any offer based on your profile, but..." msg.  I mean I still applied for all the cards I have and were approved (except Citi AA Executive Smiley Frustrated).  I'm not opted out for anything, but still I guess based on my given credit profile, none of the sites don't like it, even at credicards.com still matches me w/ First Premier (4 out of 7 offers) and Cap1 Secured. 

I'm pretty sure First Premier has financial ties to Creditcards.com because EVERYBODY who goes to that site gets the offer for first premier.. 830 Fico? FIRST PREMIER! Ridiculous..

Message 17 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

39Xelor - I needed that laugh this morning!  I literally LOL'ed.  With cardmatch, I get like 4 CapOne cards, 2 Simmons First cards (which, from what I've read is a very, very hard card to get) and 3 First Premier cards with their obnoxious fees.  I'm not sure if they have ties, but it's certainly a "secured card for all" approach.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 33
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

I'm pretty sure First Premier has financial ties to Creditcards.com because EVERYBODY who goes to that site gets the offer for first premier.. 830 Fico? FIRST PREMIER! Ridiculous..

LOL sometimes it makes me think that perhaps First Premier is the sole owner of the site after making $$$s from their outrageous APR fees! 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 19 of 33
39Xelor
Established Member

@axledobe wrote:

39Xelor - I needed that laugh this morning!  I literally LOL'ed.  With cardmatch, I get like 4 CapOne cards, 2 Simmons First cards (which, from what I've read is a very, very hard card to get) and 3 First Premier cards with their obnoxious fees.  I'm not sure if they have ties, but it's certainly a "secured card for all" approach.  Smiley Very Happy

haha glad I could give you your saturday morning chuckle! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.