Reply
Moderator
Posts: 27,207
Registered: ‎09-13-2012
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 449
Registered: ‎02-03-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

I appreciate the responses thus far.  Super helpful and informative.  


FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***



Established Contributor
Posts: 588
Registered: ‎01-28-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...


axledobe wrote:

I appreciate the responses thus far.  Super helpful and informative.  


FWIW - my recent experience is the pre-qual sites are not a rock solid indicator as others have stated.  I have begun receiving offers in the mail and only one was pre-selected.  I have used these mail offers as an indicator of my recent creditworthiness and have been instant approved for all 4.  By the way,  I went to each pre-qual site in advance to see if there were any loaded into the online system and none were available.

This month I have been approved for Barclays Rewards, Citi AAdvantage, Chase Freedom, and Discover IT.  All mailers and Barclays was only pre-selected.

 

Whoever said watch your mail box and gauge your offers and frequency to use as a leading indicator might be spot on.  Chase continues to send me offers for Slate and I have resisted as I want scores in the 700s for my next card.

Good luck!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 22K | AMEX Delta 25K | AMEX PRG
Barclay's RMC 11.5K | US AIR 7.5K | Chase United 5K | Chase Freedom 6K | Citi AA 7K | Citi DC 7K | Discover it® 4.7K
WalMart MC 5K | JCPenney MC 5K | Home Depot $9K
EX/758 EQ/761 TU/759 GOAL: Was 700s Now 800
Established Member
Posts: 146
Registered: ‎02-20-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

A lot of offers coming in the mail recently for people are Citi and Discover "Pre-selected" offers, which are really just them saying "Hey, check this card out, we have no idea if you'll be approved but why not take the HP anyway?" ;p

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 449
Registered: ‎02-03-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

I looked at these again this morning for kicks.  Citi actually quotes an interest rate/APR on their 'prequalified offer".  That would lead one to believe you're pretty much in if you apply.  Chase and US Bank didn't on theirs.

 

If there's anyone out there that hasn't checked Citi's prequalified offers lately, I'd like to hear what it spits out for others just to compare.  The problem is, Citi's cards just aren't up there with others as far as rewards go based on my spending.  It seems like Barclay, Chase and Discover have some of the best things going right now.  The Huntington Voice card is not too shabby either but they charge a $3 ACH fee per payment to pay your bill from another checking account assuming you just have the card but no checking account with them.  That can and will certainly dip into the rewards if you don't bank with them.  When I had my car loan with HNB, I had to pay a $5 service fee to make a payment online.  I mean, who mails checks anymore?  lol

 

Thanks again to all who have replied.  You guys and gals are awesome.... 


FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***



Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,654
Registered: ‎06-21-2012
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

Even today, all the pre-qualified sites don't offer anything for me, ALWAYS giving me the "Sorry we can't match any offer based on your profile, but..." msg.  I mean I still applied for all the cards I have and were approved (except Citi AA Executive :smileyfrustrated:).  I'm not opted out for anything, but still I guess based on my given credit profile, none of the sites don't like it, even at credicards.com still matches me w/ First Premier (4 out of 7 offers) and Cap1 Secured. 

 

So my opinion?  Don't rely on them too much. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +13more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 9/12/14*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 as of 12-12-13)
Established Member
Posts: 146
Registered: ‎02-20-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...


yudeology101 wrote:

Even today, all the pre-qualified sites don't offer anything for me, ALWAYS giving me the "Sorry we can't match any offer based on your profile, but..." msg.  I mean I still applied for all the cards I have and were approved (except Citi AA Executive :smileyfrustrated:).  I'm not opted out for anything, but still I guess based on my given credit profile, none of the sites don't like it, even at credicards.com still matches me w/ First Premier (4 out of 7 offers) and Cap1 Secured. 

 

So my opinion?  Don't rely on them too much. 


 I'm pretty sure First Premier has financial ties to Creditcards.com because EVERYBODY who goes to that site gets the offer for first premier.. 830 Fico? FIRST PREMIER! Ridiculous..

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 449
Registered: ‎02-03-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

39Xelor - I needed that laugh this morning!  I literally LOL'ed.  With cardmatch, I get like 4 CapOne cards, 2 Simmons First cards (which, from what I've read is a very, very hard card to get) and 3 First Premier cards with their obnoxious fees.  I'm not sure if they have ties, but it's certainly a "secured card for all" approach.  :smileyvery-happy:


FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***



Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,654
Registered: ‎06-21-2012
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...


39Xelor wrote:

yudeology101 wrote:

Even today, all the pre-qualified sites don't offer anything for me, ALWAYS giving me the "Sorry we can't match any offer based on your profile, but..." msg.  I mean I still applied for all the cards I have and were approved (except Citi AA Executive :smileyfrustrated:).  I'm not opted out for anything, but still I guess based on my given credit profile, none of the sites don't like it, even at credicards.com still matches me w/ First Premier (4 out of 7 offers) and Cap1 Secured. 

 

So my opinion?  Don't rely on them too much. 


 I'm pretty sure First Premier has financial ties to Creditcards.com because EVERYBODY who goes to that site gets the offer for first premier.. 830 Fico? FIRST PREMIER! Ridiculous..


LOL sometimes it makes me think that perhaps First Premier is the sole owner of the site after making $$$s from their outrageous APR fees! 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +13more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 9/12/14*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 as of 12-12-13)
Established Member
Posts: 146
Registered: ‎02-20-2014
0

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...


axledobe wrote:

39Xelor - I needed that laugh this morning!  I literally LOL'ed.  With cardmatch, I get like 4 CapOne cards, 2 Simmons First cards (which, from what I've read is a very, very hard card to get) and 3 First Premier cards with their obnoxious fees.  I'm not sure if they have ties, but it's certainly a "secured card for all" approach.  :smileyvery-happy:


haha glad I could give you your saturday morning chuckle! :smileyhappy:

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.