Not applicable

Re: Most unusual Card

Nice
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Here is one for you! Kind of a cool card anyway.
https://www.pittsburghzoocard.com/

Bruh, that's bananas.

Message 12 of 27
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Here is one for you! Kind of a cool card anyway.
https://www.pittsburghzoocard.com/

J/c, does anyone know what kind score ranges they are looking for, and/or what are the underwriting requirements, for the bank of this card?  (I am still in garden mode atm, but when I eventually get out down the road, this card could look very interesting!)

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably not an exotic card by today's standards, but for me, the long-defunct BofA PetRewards Card.

I got this card when it was introduced in early 2007, until it was unceremonially discontinued less than two years later. It was targeted to pet owners, so was perfect for us (we have six cats). It was unique for its time in that it:

1. Could net 4% in rewards on pet-related purchases (vet's office, pet stores, etc.) and 2% on everything else, when there were very few cards that provided >1% on general spending.
2. Allowed you to upload a picture (presumably of your pet(s)) for them to put on your card when they issued it (still a rare feature; CapOne is the only one I currently have that provides this).
3. To achieve the 4%/2% redemption level, you had to redeem your cash by submitting a veterinarian receipt which you had charged to the card and getting that reimbursed (in whole or part) with your accumulated rewards.
4. Came with a whopping $10 starting bonus (ok, as pathetic then as now).

I made pretty good use out of this card, although it took me a while to understand the redemption process and see that I was in fact getting 4% on pets and 2% on everything else. It set my new bar for general spending at 2% CB, and I've not been without a 2% (or better) card in my wallet since then. But with no warning, BofA discontinued the program in early 2009 and converted me to a useless 3/2/1 rewards card, which, except for the occasionally quarterly spending 5% offer or BankAmeriDeals offer, stayed in the sock drawer, until a couple of years ago when I PC'd it to a Better Balance Rewards card, which gives me $30 every quarter.

I'm still not sure why they killed the program. I figured either not enough customers saw the value in it, and/or certain gamers like me were making too much of it by consistently getting the maximum rewards redemption (having six cats, we never had a problem having vet bills to redeem).

Anyway, for me at the time, it was a novel concept, and one of the early stops on my road to maximizing CC rewards.

Chris.

fampix-touchedup2-square.jpg

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably not an exotic card by today's standards, but for me, the long-defunct BofA PetRewards Card.

I got this card when it was introduced in early 2007, until it was unceremonially discontinued less than two years later. It was targeted to pet owners, so was perfect for us (we have six cats). It was unique for its time in that it:

1. Could net 4% in rewards on pet-related purchases (vet's office, pet stores, etc.) and 2% on everything else, when there were very few cards that provided >1% on general spending.
2. Allowed you to upload a picture (presumably of your pet(s)) for them to put on your card when they issued it (still a rare feature; CapOne is the only one I currently have that provides this).
3. To achieve the 4%/2% redemption level, you had to redeem your cash by submitting a veterinarian receipt which you had charged to the card and getting that reimbursed (in whole or part) with your accumulated rewards.

I made pretty good use out of this card, although it took me a while to understand the redemption process and see that I was in fact getting 4% on pets and 2% on everything else. It set my new bar for general spending at 2% CB, and I've not been without a 2% (or better) card in my wallet since then. But with no warning, BofA discontinued the program in early 2009 and converted me to a useless 3/2/1 rewards card, which, except for the occasionally quarterly spending 5% offer or BankAmeriDeals offer, stayed in the sock drawer, until a couple of years ago when I PC'd it to a Better Balance Rewards card, which gives me $30 every quarter.

I'm still not sure why they killed the program. I figured either not enough customers saw the value in it, and/or certain gamers like me were making too much of it by consistently getting the maximum rewards redemption (having six cats, we never had a problem having vet bills to redeem).

Anyway, for me at the time, it was a novel concept, and one of the early stops on my road to maximizing CC rewards.

Chris.

Dang is that probably the first 2% card then...? 

4% for pet expenses sounds pretty awesome. 

And that sucks how they forced-PCd you to the 3-2-1. 

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Thanks for sharing..really interesting! I had never heard of that one.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Serve
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Dang is that probably the first 2% card then...? 

4% for pet expenses sounds pretty awesome. 

And that sucks how they forced-PCd you to the 3-2-1. 

I know right?! What a cool card!

I havent had these, but I'd say the Amex Zync is probably pretty darn cool. Low annual fee charge card, but had user selectable packs that let them choose their bonus program.

Maybe a citi dividend card, or something like the citi premier pass elite level that had companion ticket with any airline....

For me, I'd say my CU card is unique. The rate on it will only go up to 7.9% after a year, and it is not affected by any of these federal rate hikes. It is attached to my checking and I can use it like a line of credit with no cash advance fees.  I can use it at an atm and make cash deposits into any of my accounts which is handy.....The strange thing is if I used it at an ATM for a withdrawal there would be a cash advance fee though.  Also the weird part is, it gets unlimited 1% back paid annually (yee haw, not), but there are tons of deals that are actually pretty relevant to my habits that pop up on their portal, but require the use of a debit card!  Believe it or not I have actually been using my debit card and it feels strange!!

I would also say another unique one that I have seen would be a relatives US Bank card. It had a rate of 6%, but also had 0 for 24 month balance transfer offers on it, and something like a 40k credit limit. Card was obtained immediately after a home purchase a few decades ago. The crappy part was it was earning these strange rewards points and they didnt even know it, but they kept expiring. I made a phone call and was able to get 25% of them back as a courtesy.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Serve

ha ha. ya right. that shipt has sailed!!! i never once used it for churning. I am probably one in a select few that did not receive the termination notice....

i will be leaving it a balance of 0 for a few months until I decide what to do with it. I dont think I will be charged any fees.  I always get the craziest looks when I would use the physical card, because it says ISIS on the front lol. 

That card was one of my favorites..for sure FOR SURE. I have made easily 2 or 3 grand from that card. This was before I really got into credit cards. Tons of amex offers on that with softcard/isis. $25 off $50 several times, $15 off 25, 20 off 40 at lowes several times, 50 a month for a year, and all the twitter offers. I remember the day I had it activated, and it gave me $50 free. And I remember thinking ummm ok google walled has already been out since 2011 and came with $15 free, why do we need another variant of this...but the offers were what made it awesome.  Come to find out it was a useful card for many especially its $1500 cc load limits.  I think the entire time I held the card I maybe funded a few hundred bucks for legit reasons.

The best part was the vending machine offer. I would buy $1.20 bottle of water 4 times, and then get $5 free for the fifth transaction. So basically I was paying 80 cents to get $5 in that machine because it was during their 1 off a transaction promo.  That machine had starbucks fraps for $2.50 each. It was VERY convenient also one time because a family member was very ill in a hospital. I was able to supply everyone with snacks and drinks and they thought I was super cool! Then when I showed them the ISIS card they were like OH LORD THEY ARE BEHIND ALL THIS! haha

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

City National Bank Crystal Visa. Not only is it the only Visa Infinite in the US, but it comes with a high sign up bonus, decent rewards earn, and airline credits for each cardholder (even AU!), which easily pays the AF. Plus lounge access, global entry, etc. And it's geographically locked with semi-stiff UW requirements.

Soon...

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.