cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mostly unused limits..want to close some while retaining good mix of category usage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mostly unused limits..want to close some while retaining good mix of category usage

Hello from new member, though I have been reading so valuable experiences of others in apping/gardening etc for quite some time.

I have quite a few brand name cards that have rotating category benefits while few with no benefits/usage at all. 

Recently while booking an upcoming trip to Calif, I ended up spening 1800+ on all things with Citi Double, most of other cards being not-so-useful.

I am now thinking if I should apply for some new travel cards and /or closed unused cards.

Here is what I have for years and whether I use it or not,

Amex Clear (5Y, Not used at all),

DCU Visa (9Y, Not used at all),

Chase Freedom (9Y, used Qrt),

Discover IT(5Y, used Qrt),

US Cash+ (9Y, used some),

Citi Double (2Y, used when no other card is giving cashback)

I am hoping there are cards out there that would get me more cashback than Citi Double, for my Travel expenses.

Also, this month onwards, for next 3 months, I only have Citi Double that gets me cashback on Gas/Grocery/Drugstore.

P.S. I am not big spender..max 1K per month and so my total util stays below 2%.

How can I re-organize my cards, add new(?) / close some (?) so I have more travel covered for cashback and daily expenses (like next 3 months) as well?

CK Scores- TU 812/ Eq 816,

HP - TU 1/ Eq 0/ Ex ? 

New account in 2 years - 1 (Got and then closed CSP after 3 months, earlier this year)

--thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mostly unused limits..want to close some while retaining good mix of category usage

Do you have another Amex that you are keeping? (Revolver) you could move the limit of the Clear into that so you don't loose the credit.

Same thing with Chase Freedom you could roll that limit to another Chase if you have one.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mostly unused limits..want to close some while retaining good mix of category usage

i dont have any more cards. So no more Amex as you pointed out. I would like to keep Freedom as I use 5% quarterly benefits.

My intention is to replace some of my cards with "Travel" cards so I have this missing category covered from my mix of cards.

Message 3 of 5
907grown
Established Contributor

If you live where Alaska Airlines is a heavy hitter then that is a GREAT card to have. It has an annual fee, but it is very good with rewards. This is my first/only BOA card, but I had a great SL, 12,000., and a CLI to 21,600. in 60 days after opening.
I use this card for everyday living as well as all my bills hit it, so I run about 3000.00 a month thru it.
I live in Alaska, so the rewards may be even more valuable to us as it costs a fortune to get into/ out of Alaska. The annual 99.00 companion fare and reasonable mileage chart make this my fave, #1, go to card!!

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot for BOA suggestion. Unfortunately I am not near Alaska. Infact, I am in Dallas where SW is major at DAL airport and DFW has all airlines.

To me a generic card suits better whose rewards I can recoup with future air/hotel bookings..even cashback would be Ok.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.