Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving CL's around with Barclay

tag
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Moving CL's around with Barclay

So I posted earlier that my barclay rewards increased from 1.3k to 2.5k and the apple visa from 3k to 4.8k. My goal is to get a CSP and increases on my Freedom card. I dont care for the rewards card. I just use it for auto insurance and life insurances ACH payments. If I moved 200 dollars to the apple Visa I would have 5k line. Over the next year it would help me out with getting a CSP and other signature cards. Or I could just close it out all together and move the entire limit to the apple Visa and close it. Should I do that? My balance is currently $1,350 and if I closed out the mastercard my limit would be over 7k. I dont care for the rewards on the mastercard because my usage mostly goes thru Chase and AmEx. I have never closed a card so I a little freightned. But wouldnt a high limit on one card also help my other cards grow faster? HELP!!!!

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Re: Moving CL's around with Barclay

Bigger limits will help get bigger limits on future apps.  No guarantee though.  Not sure how friendly they are about moving limits though.  The rewards are not great on that card but they are handy at times.  Cable and Cellphone will fall in the 2x most times.  Also Target,CVS both 2x, Also I have heard that Walgreens and Ritaide 2x as well.  I never really verified both of those.  I have also seen that gas station instore make me miss out at times for 5x rewards(convience store) which gets coded as grocery at times for 2x on Rewards Card.

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 2 of 8
Josh2942
Established Contributor

There's no doubt that the rewards are decent but I have $155 in rewards on my freedom card and about 13k MR points on my amex. That's where the bulk of my spending goes. I'm not really interested in the rewards card but I don't know how it would look to close it out. The Credit rep said it would be no problem to close it out and move the CL
Student Loan Debt $1,500
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 3 of 8
navistar
Regular Contributor

if it doesnt have a big annual charge why would you close it?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 4 of 8
Josh2942
Established Contributor

So I can have a larger limit on one of my cards. It would be one credit line of $7,310 and It would help me get larger limits in the future because I have a line over 5k

Student Loan Debt $1,500
Message 5 of 8
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

If it doesn't fit your needs, close it. Especially if closing it gets you to the goal desired (higher limits). No sense in keeping the card if you don't want it, and if they let you move the CL over, why not. I moved the. CL from a US Air over to my NFL card, and cancelled US Air because I never used it, and my NFL card had a much lower APR and frequet BT offers. I also wanted to app for Arrival again in the future, and at times they are picky about approving subsequent cards. I haven't given it a second thought. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 6 of 8
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

I just seen ur siggy and 16 unused cards.  If you really want to do it go for it.  I know it is a pain for keeping cards active and you have a lot to keep up with already.  Ideally u should have multiple cards over 5k.  Where are u at with Amex Blue and Freedom CL wise.  You may want to evaluate some of the others for axing as well if income to limits are a factor.  It has been rumored that chase likes to match or beat Amex CL with new apps especially under manual review.  Coincidence or not they matched my blue sky at 1k.  Multiple requests for CLI on Blue Sky were declined.  New app for Everyday Prefered 8.5k CL after manual review.  I heard many reports that chase is hard to get CLI from and that they are more generous on new apps.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 7 of 8
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Barclays was pretty friendly about adjusting my CLs on my Sallie Mae/Arrival from 7.5k/5k to 2.5k/10k, and took care of it really painlessly (no HP). I don't have any info on moving CL entirely (closing one account in the process) but they should be just as willing.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.