Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving CLI from slate to Freedom

tag
nkrishdtt
Valued Member

Moving CLI from slate to Freedom

All,

First of all i want to thank everyone on this forum for all the great advise! Thanks to the great info i got, my DW has gotten approved for a AMEX ED and a Chase slate in the last 3 months.

This morning when she went to the bank, her banker told her she was pre-approved for Freedom (the double bonus Smiley Happy). She took the plunge and got approved for 4500.

Here's my question to the group:

She's gotten 2K on the slate and 4.5K on the freedom. Would it be possible to ask Chase to move CLI from the slate (we don't have BT needs) to the freedom and upgrade it to a signature? Should i wait for a specific time frame before we request it?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Moving CLI from slate to Freedom

They will move the entire CL if there's not been a balance for 30 days, I believe. Otherwise, if there's been a recent balance you can move all but 500.

With regard to the upgrade to signature that's hit or miss.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Kenny said...

You may have to wait for the Freedom to be activated and show active in their system for the CL transfer to be possible, but it wont hurt to ask.

Im not aware of any Chase policy that says you have to wait any amount of time to do a CL transfer.

Message 3 of 18
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:
They will move the entire CL if there's not been a balance for 30 days, I believe. Otherwise, if there's been a recent balance you can move all but 500.

Clarification:

1) No transaction (implied, no purchases) for 30 days

2) No balance when the request is initiated

From personal experience.

Technically, they ask for no transaction (whatsoever) so you can interpret as no balances, no purchases, no payments for 30 days.

Signature is not guaranteed. First get the transfer; then ask for an upgrade based on the new line.

Message 4 of 18
randy230k
New Contributor

My experience has been that theyll move all but $500, regardless of past transaction history.  They told me minimum availability has to be $500 on any given card, even if you intend to transfer the credit limit and close the card.  

In the garden since 7/30/17
Message 5 of 18
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@randy230k wrote:

My experience has been that theyll move all but $500, regardless of past transaction history.  They told me minimum availability has to be $500 on any given card, even if you intend to transfer the credit limit and close the card.  

Hi Randy,

Could you tell us what was the limit on your Slate, and when did you transact last on the card? Also, how old was the card?

Probably it depends on those factors; the points I wrote was exactly what was told to me via Chase SM.

My limit was $1,000; my last transaction (BT) was 5 months before closing the card; and my card was indeed 5 months old. I made my last payment about 3 weeks before closing it and moving all of the $1k moved to my Freedom.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a side thought, upgrading to the Visa Signature card shouldn't be much of an issue, as long as you meet their internal CL requirement. Most banks are 5k from what I have seen, tho I have also seen VS on cards with less than a 5k CL here and there.

In the end, they have every reason to upgrade you because they earn more on the swipe fees on a Visa Signature card than they do on a normal Visa.

Its in their best interest, but every bank gauges this in their own way.

Message 7 of 18
randy230k
New Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@randy230k wrote:

Hi Randy,

Could you tell us what was the limit on your Slate, and when did you transact last on the card? Also, how old was the card?

Probably it depends on those factors; the points I wrote was exactly what was told to me via Chase SM.

My limit was $1,000; my last transaction (BT) was 5 months before closing the card; and my card was indeed 5 months old. I made my last payment about 3 weeks before closing it and moving all of the $1k moved to my Freedom.

Hey Ghoshida,

This particular experience was not actually mine, but my brothers, and I was sitting next to him listening, and the phone was on speaker, so I did hear the entire conversation.

His slate was approximately 6 months old, last transaction had occured about two weeks before he moved the limit around.  He had recently applied for and been approved for a CSP.  The limit on the slate was $5,000, and the limit on the new CSP also $5,000.  They said because there were no current or pending transactions (nothing about transactions from the previous 30 days), they could move all but $500 of the credit limit.  He then asked if he could move all $5,000 because he intended to close the slate card.  They said no, and that $4,500 was all they could transfer and the slate had to remain with at least $500 of credit availability even if there was the intention of closing the card.  So, the $4,500 was moved, making the credit limit on the CSP $9,500, and the $500 slate was closed, as per his request.

Hope this helps!

-R

In the garden since 7/30/17
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick note. I finally received my Slate yesterday with a 20k limit. It's not a signature.
Message 9 of 18
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Clarification:

1) No transaction (implied, no purchases) for 30 days

2) No balance when the request is initiated

From personal experience.

Technically, they ask for no transaction (whatsoever) so you can interpret as no balances, no purchases, no payments for 30 days.

Signature is not guaranteed. First get the transfer; then ask for an upgrade based on the new line.

Thank you.. that's correct! I forgot about no transaction part! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.