Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Credit Limit from Chase FU to Chase Amazon Prime

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving Credit Limit from Chase FU to Chase Amazon Prime

So.....

I currently have two Chase cards: Amazon Prime ($6500) & Freedom Unlimited ($9500)

Over the last few months I discovered that I do the majority of my spending on my Amazon Prime card. The Freedom Unlimited I just use it for bills, Wal-Mart, and a few other things. I did some calculation to see what is the difference if I change my spending from the Freedom Unlimited to my Amazon Prime, I would only lose about two bucks at most. Since I don't have any interest in getting a traveler credit card and I would like to reduce my main card profile from four to three, I would like to keep my Amazon Prime card full time.

I'm curious if anyone had luck closing one Chase card and move its limits to their Amazon (Prime or non-Prime) card?

If you are curious, my other two cards are AMEX BCE (for it % choices, keep tracking on spending from AUs, and free warranty extension) and Blispay (financing, any $$ item that has 5+ year warranty policy with 2% on top).

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Re: Moving Credit Limit from Chase FU to Chase Amazon Prime

Yes you need to call

(taken from the backdoor number of the forum)

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 2 of 10
trant3
Established Contributor

A regular CSR could've completed the limit allocation and closure of the AARP card with no questions asked. 

@MoneyBurns wrote:

Yes you need to call

(taken from the backdoor number of the forum)

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had same thing done, but in the other direction, a few months ago. Moved my limit from my Amazon to my Freedom U; sent SM when logged in and got an email it was done about 30 minutes later. No issues at all; I did see a SP from the day I had requested the change
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!  

They told me over the phone that this is not a problem.  Once I cancel the FU card then they can move my credit limit to the Amazon Card.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoneyBurns wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit on the credit cards and utilization question?  What were they getting at with asking about your 10 cards?  What was the utilization comment about?  Were they saying 3% is low (a good thing) or questioning why you weren't at a higher utilization?  Just trying to understand their line of questioning here.

Message 6 of 10
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Sure Smiley Happy When I asked for *moving credit lines* the analyst put me on hold and said she needed to check my credit to see if she can close the AARP and transfer the limit.

She put me on hold for about ten minutes, and said, "Okay, so I see you have opened around 10 credit (recent) cards, why so many? I said, "The credit card I used to use for my spending (pointing at Barclays!!!) changed its reward structure, so I'm using those cards to best fit my spending and rewards." She said, "Ok..." and just typed it into the computer. From the tone (just my guess) it just sounded like Chase didn't like it too much.

She did mention, "However, I do see you owe $**** amount on your lines. Is this correct?" "Yes that's correct." "Hmmm. Well your utilization is 3%..... so that's good." I was relieved when she said it was good as it sounded like they didn't like that either!

After that she closed my AARP and sent the 5k line over to amazon.

I was scared when she asked about my 10 app spree because of all the posts regarding Chase closing accounts but it all worked out.

I'm going to garden. No more for me!!!

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, thanks for the info!  If I move some of my limit from CSP to Amazon later this year I'll be ready for the questions Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

I called the phone number that was posted ealier today.  I just PIF my Chase FU (still within 0% for five more months),and requested the analyst to move the Credit Limit from FU to my Amazon Prime card.  It was done with no problems.  I did lost $500 out of the $9500 Credit Limit from my FU into my Amazon Prime card.  So right now my CL for my Amazon Prime is $15.5k.  

Feels great reducing the amount of cards and just use two major cards and Blispay for my 0% APR needs. 

Edit:  The Analyst did advise they will do a Soft Pull before doing the Credit Limit change. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info, thanks for the update.  I'll probably do something similar with my CSP and Amazon come fall/winter.  I spend a lot on Amazon so I'd rather have the limit there than on the CSP... especially if I downgrade the CSP to the Freedom where I'd only use it for 5% categories at that point.  Don't need much of a limit for that.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.