Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving credit lines on Chase cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving credit lines on Chase cards

I have the Chase Freedom with a 3k limit that I've had for over 9 months and a Chase Amazon Visa with a 2500 limit that I've had for 2 months. I recently opened Chase checking account over a month ago to take advantage of a bonus offers and I want to establish a relationship with them other than Credit cards only.

Long term goal is Chase Sapphire Reserve, but I need to build up my score a bit. Ultimately I want a Freedom Unlimited prior to getting the reserve because I want the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited to be cards that I do majority spend and transfer to the Reserve portal. This makes rotating categories a 7.5% and the Freedom Unlimited a 2.25% cash back card. I'm 10/24 but only plan on checking for Freedom Unlimited Pre-Approval in branch. That being said, can I actually move some of the credit line from the Chase Amazon Visa to a new card to improve my odds of being approved in branch if that's what it takes or will Chase not move Credit from a Co-brand to a regular Chase brand?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving credit lines on Chase cards

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the Chase Freedom with a 3k limit that I've had for over 9 months and a Chase Amazon Visa with a 2500 limit that I've had for 2 months. I recently opened Chase checking account over a month ago to take advantage of a bonus offers and I want to establish a relationship with them other than Credit cards only.

Long term goal is Chase Sapphire Reserve, but I need to build up my score a bit. Ultimately I want a Freedom Unlimited prior to getting the reserve because I want the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited to be cards that I do majority spend and transfer to the Reserve portal. This makes rotating categories a 7.5% and the Freedom Unlimited a 2.25% cash back card. I'm 10/24 but only plan on checking for Freedom Unlimited Pre-Approval in branch. That being said, can I actually move some of the credit line from the Chase Amazon Visa to a new card to improve my odds of being approved in branch if that's what it takes or will Chase not move Credit from a Co-brand to a regular Chase brand?

I just recently moved my Chase AARP limit to Freedom without any hassle but I had the AARP for about 10 months. I dont know if you have to have a card for a period for a certain time to move limits around, I'm sure others will chime in.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can move limits immediately but if you wanted to close account it has to have no activity for a while otherwise you can only drain down to $500. Can be accomplished with one back and forth secure message from your banking login, no talking on the phone, not even a chat room.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to transfer limit from my United MPX the day it arrived (to Freedom), and when I closed it (to CSR).

If you're closing it, make sure the balance is 0 with no pending transactions.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't plan on closing it because the 3% amazon cashback will be useful to me. Just moving most of the balance to either the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited (if approved).
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved 10k over to my Unlimited card bringing me up to 30k. I still have 10k left on my Marriott but I just might dump it altogether. I don't need all that credit limit anyway.
Message 6 of 7
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone ever moved a limit over and kept a Chase card at $500.  After time, then called and asked for a CLI on the card with the $500 limit?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.