Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving limits with Chase?

tag
Spanky23
Established Member

Moving limits with Chase?

Had to grab a Chase Slate because some unexpected costs came up. My fault, but I take responsibility.

I have a bigger limit on my Chase freedom and my interest is kicking in this month

If I get approved for the slate can I move limits from my freedom to that? And in 15 months when the no interest is up, can I cancel the card and move it back?

Thanks guys for the help

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving limits with Chase?

yeah that is quite possible.
Message 2 of 36
Spanky23
Established Member

Bump .

Lets say I had 4k in debt, and I only got 2k from the Slate

Could I move my 2k over, and then transfer the other 2 over and then when I pay it off transfer the 4k limit from the slate to the Freedom to make it 6?

Message 3 of 36
Spanky23
Established Member

Ah nvm I see you can't transfer between Chase cards

Any other good options?

Message 4 of 36
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@Spanky23 wrote:

Bump .

Lets say I had 4k in debt, and I only got 2k from the Slate

Could I move my 2k over (from where; is this debt or credit limit??), and then transfer the other 2 over (what other 2) and then when I pay it off transfer the 4k limit from the slate to the Freedom to make it 6?

This language is highly confusing.

So you have 4k in debt you wish transfer to Slate for 0%APR, but Chase only approved you for a 2k credit limit?

I'm guessing you have a Freedom with a 4k credit limit?  What is the balance on the Freedom?

More than likely you can contact Chase and have them transfer excess credit limit from Freedom to the Slate and when you are done paying off the Slate, transfer that CL back to the Freedom, with the exception of $500.  They usualy require you keep a $500 CL min and close the accout with that.

Keep in mind if you transfer CL and then max out either or both cards your score will take a big hit.

Message 5 of 36
Spanky23
Established Member

But I'm reading there is no way to go from Chase to Chase?

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spanky23 wrote:

But I'm reading there is no way to go from Chase to Chase?

Correct...you can not move a balance from one Chase card to another.

Message 7 of 36
Spanky23
Established Member

Is there anyway around that? At all?

Or what's a good card that may offer higher limits? I really wanted the slate with my higher freedom and I really need a decent limit to transfer so with a higher Freedom I was hoping for a decent slate but now I dont know what to do

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way to BT from Chase to Chase.

If you are going to take a HP it all depends on your profile. Other than a BT card, the Slate is pretty useless compared to the other options out there.

I'd recommend going for Discover. Even if you don't get the limit you need right away, you can at least ASK for a CLI without a HP. You get that among all the the other benefits of that card. It is a 5% category card, but other than checking pre qual sites all over the place you don't have many options.

Also, with most new cards, the BT promos either need to be done when applying, or within a specific time frame like 30 days. Otherwise, you lose the promo and would have to BT at whatever the rate of the card is. Check the terms.
Message 9 of 36
Spanky23
Established Member

I already have a discover it that's in the interest phase.

Could I bt from chase to discover back to chase slate (obviously taking a hit in fees) if not I need to look elsewhere other than discover
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.