Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving on up!

tag
skoop
New Contributor

Moving on up!

Great news today. My score has really gone up. Over 20 points, and this forum, site is partly responsible. Transferred high interest balances, paid off revolving store cards, got my utility rate down, applied for a couple of new prime cards and accepted. Whoo hoo..Should I garden or go for AE or another really prime card? Any ideas? What cards are the ultimate prime card?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Moving on up!

You would really need to tell us your credit profile if you want prime card recommendations.

But to me, a "really" prime card is a AMEX Centurian(Black), JPMorgan Palladium, or Citi Divident Platinum Select (I think)

I'm not there yet so I'm not looking at those. 

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 9
skoop
New Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

You would really need to tell us your credit profile if you want prime card recommendations.

But to me, a "really" prime card is a AMEX Centurian(Black), JPMorgan Palladium, or Citi Divident Platinum Select (I think)

I'm not there yet so I'm not looking at those. 

I would think a prime card is prime, regardless of the profile. I am just curious. I may or may not persue but curious, nonetheless. My highest CL is 6000, and I don't have a huge income, so probably could not qualify for some of those you mention. Maybe recommendations that are more in my frame of reference would help.
Message 3 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Maybe one of the Blue Cash from AMEX would work but many start with a AMEX charge card first.

If you have a $6000 CL card now, I'd go for a Chase Freedom or Chase Sapphire Preferred($95 AF) depending on your type of spending. Or maybe a AMEX Blue Cash Everyday.

Well you did say "really" prime. I know for the Palladium, $250k in liquid assett is one of the requirements. lol. The Centurian requires your spending to be above $250k a year , but they may be raising it to $500k-$1M.

Both are out of our realms I think lol. It's fun to look at though 

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 9
happy101
New Contributor

When my credit profile improved I apped for the following : AMEX PR (Approved), AMEX BCE( Approved $2000CL)... People stated that AMEX is not accepted everywhere, but all the places that I normally go to actually take the card.  Most mom and pop shops will likely not accept as the transaction fees are more than MC/VS.

Message 5 of 9
skoop
New Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

Maybe one of the Blue Cash from AMEX would work but many start with a AMEX charge card first.

If you have a $6000 CL card now, I'd go for a Chase Freedom or Chase Sapphire Preferred($95 AF) depending on your type of spending. Or maybe a AMEX Blue Cash Everyday.

Well you did say "really" prime. I know for the Palladium, $250k in liquid assett is one of the requirements. lol. The Centurian requires your spending to be above $250k a year , but they may be raising it to $500k-$1M.

Both are out of our realms I think lol. It's fun to look at though 

Chase Freedom is what I have already, with the highest limit. Thanks for the input. Off to research the cards you mentioned!
Message 6 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

If I had a strong profile(ie: FICO of 750+) I would skip AMEX's charge cards and apply for a BCE or the like. But I don't and if I were to apply for a AMEX now, it would be a ZYNC. Even though it's their lowest end card, their Green and Gold rewards programs would not benefit me. I'd just open the ZYNC for AMEX's backdating policy, and possibly appy for one of their revolving cards in a year or so

If you already have a Freedom, the Sapphire Preferred would really benefit you. 7% annual divident on points earned is one of them 

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 7 of 9
skoop
New Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

If I had a strong profile(ie: FICO of 750+) I would skip AMEX's charge cards and apply for a BCE or the like. But I don't and if I were to apply for a AMEX now, it would be a ZYNC. Even though it's their lowest end card, their Green and Gold rewards programs would not benefit me. I'd just open the ZYNC for AMEX's backdating policy, and possibly appy for one of their revolving cards in a year or so

If you already have a Freedom, the Sapphire Preferred would really benefit you. 7% annual divident on points earned is one of them 

Backdating policy? I think the offer I got in mail was for Green? I need to look at it more closely. I have no clue what ZYNC is .
Message 8 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

backdating: if you had an account that was opened 10 years ago, and you opened a ZYNC today, the ZYNC will report with an open date of 10 years ago. Increases your AAoA. This is apparently ymmv though so you need to read more about thi

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.